Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Backing the dolly quilts

I didn't take pictures of the next 3 quilts after they were sandwiched but I did add them to the pile that needs quilting. Ugh. There are now 6 doll quilts that need quilting, which just seems like an overwhelming pile, and I hope to get the last two either sandwiched or close this weekend. I've got 51 days until my next trunk show. I can do it!

We won't mention the new doll quilt I started last week. Chantal said I deserved a new quilt since Mr Serious was finished so I ran with it and picked something from one of my hexie Pinterest boards. I should have a picture for you next week...


My math skills weren't quite up to par on this backing. I was trying to use as much of the horse fabric as possible, knowing that I would still need to add an orange strip to the middle. Didn't figure on then needing to add a prussian blue strip to get the math right, finally. The sides of this quilt will be cut straight and bound in the dark raspberry color. The top/bottom will have a hexie facing, allowing the hexie shape to remain. Any quilting ideas for this one?

This backing was a nice recovery as there was no math involved. LOL. I am using the teal for the "binding" but I'm not yet decided if it will be a true binding or a facing. I think I am going to quilt an outline of the "circles" the kaleidoscopes create.

The colors for this design started with a scrap pack from one of the LQSs.
It was pure luck that the Tula Pink fabric also matched perfectly.
And - woot! - the blue binding is already made!

This project started with 4 FQs and then I added in more of the purple to get it squared off. Not having much of any of the fabric left I was forced to go shopping to buy backing fabric. #Thestruggleisreal

I've finally decided to have the basket bottoms towards the center but the 4 blocks alone are not big enough for a doll quilt. Since I was forced to go buy the yellow backing for the previous quilt I also found some fabrics that should work with this. The blocks have 4 golds and 4 greens - I was able to get more of one of the greens but had to get a new gold. The burgundy isn't quite right but it had the same gold as the green so I ran with it.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Good progress. Nice shopping

Janet O. said...

My goodness, you have many irons in the fire that are all getting attention. So impressive!
Don't you just hate it when you are "forced" to go fabric shopping. ;)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I went fabric shopping on line for red I need for the backing of the Marvel Commic quilt. I'm still new at this quilt making. I have a stash of hexies since that is what I have always done with my scraps. I see a winter project in my future! lol
xx, Carol

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know anything about all of the quillting-technicalities, so I'll just say that they all look amazing!