Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Leaf peeping from the top of Rocky Mt

Last Friday I climbed Rocky Mountain in the ADK Mountains. It was a shorter trip (only 1 mile round trip and 50 feet shorter in height) but it was a lot steeper than Bald Mt which I climbed in July. I'm not sure which I enjoyed more and it doesn't really matter cuz I hope to climb both again next summer :)




The mountain is appropriately named as there were rocks everywhere along the path and at the peak. Yes, this is part of the path.


 A lot of the trees had little dirt to grow in, instead growing over the rocks.


Because the trees are not well rooted, microbursts tend to do a lot of damage. These were recently knocked over as the leaves were still green.



The trail is often a little vague but marked with yellow trail markers. They are a little hard to see in the fall when the leaves are starting to turn from green to yellow-green. Can you find the marker in the next picture? I really needed to find this one and it was a little difficult. You will probably need to biggie size the photo.



However it's all worth it when you get to the top. You can see just how hazy it was on Friday - this was before the COLD front moved in much later in the day.

Looking north towards Inlet - Just a tinge of color

4th lake, looking south towards Eagle Bay.
One of those Mts is Bald Mt that I climbed in July.
 The tree colors were still very subtle. Maroons were most prevalent but by the end of the weekend there was more and more orange showing.

I know you'll believe me - but proof again that it was me at the top.


And just to warn you, at some point the thinner air gets to a person.


There were only a few other people that climbed the mountain while I was there, including a couple guys I did flirt with explain what I was working on.


I know it's hard to see thru the haze and dirty windshield but this is Rocky Mt taken from Eagle Bay looking north. The rocks at the peak are just to the right of that barn like building in the middle of the photo.


This was taken Sunday on my way home, heading south out of Inlet. You can see the cars parked at the trail head and the rock formation dead center, which is the peak. Look how much the leaves changed in just 3 days! Sunshine helps too.


I'll have one more set of photos to post next week...

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Great pictures Sarah, looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth said...

Down in NJ, the leaves are starting to think about turning. We'll get good leaf peeping in Oct. By then, you'll probably have snow.

Me and My Stitches said...

BEAUTIFUL! I want to hear more about these guys you were flirting with! Lol.

Anonymous said...

I admire you so much for being able to take this hike - and envy you for the great views.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Michelle said...

Lovely views.....
1 mile is about all I could manage
hiking up those paths.
I bet those guys you were flirting with did wonder what you were doing !

Denise :) said...

I found the yellow spot!! It cracks me TOTALLY up -- I have a very similar picture from January, 2010 (not long after we'd moved out to the camp). I'd taken a hike to explore the camp and went places I'd never been before. Todd was on shift, so I was definitely by myself. Since we're FB friends, you should be able to see this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=245896428385&set=a.245875878385.138639.673038385&type=3&theater We are AGAIN so same-to-same!!! Loved all your beautiful shots. That the trees grow visibly over the rocks is wild!! Kinda like the lack of oxygen photo shot...!!! :)