Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Wednesday Weather Report #156 - 5/13/20

This looks like a lovely day for a silo fire last Thursday, no? The sun was warm on our shoulders until a cold, windy front brought in some rain.


Saturday morning, I had to fill up my gas tank. It was the first time in 5 weeks so I wasn't complaining but it was a bonus to find such a low price - this gas station is 5cents cheaper on Saturdays if you pay in cash. I can't remember the last time I saw prices so low. NY is notorious for it's gas taxes so yours is probably lower - what are you paying?


If you think those skies behind the gas station sign look ominous, you would be right - take a look at what followed in few short hours:


We've seen this kind of non-accumulating snow several times in the last week, but only last night did it finish with such a pretty show. Not the most amazing sunset but to go from something similar to the snow above to clearing, golden skies in just minutes was amazing to watch.


I'm hoping that Janet or Barbara can confirm that this next picture is hoarfrost. I've never seen it in person but I saw it in several places this morning when it was a brisk 26F for my walk. I'm hoping all y'all can zoom in on this cuz it is really cool looking. The little spikes were fragile to the touch.



I hope you enjoyed this little trip through the last dregs of winter. We are heading into the 60s and 70s in the next couple of weeks so I am thinking that the snow will now leave us until next fall.

May 6-12, 2020
46 - 57 - 36 - 34 - 53 - 38 - 44 F

9 comments:

Jana said...

Gas here in Northern California is $2.34. Very low. Back in March it was a dollar more.

We get hoarfrost here. As a child I would go out and walk on the “crunchy” grass or slide on the back deck. It never lasted long. Only a few hours before it all melted.

Sherrill said...

GAH! You walk in 26 degrees? YIKES! Our lowest gas prices here were $1.08 and now I'm griping cause they're up to $1.39 or higher! HA Ridiculous. My DH has been gone nearly 8 years but long before he passed, I remember him saying we'd never see gas again below $2/gal. Guess none of us could have imagined a pandemic like this!

Julierose said...

Right now in SE CT gas is $1.80/gal for regular...the lowest in ages...

We are still having really cold winds off the ocean...which I would have thought would be warmed up by now--but NOOOOO!! It looks sunny from inside, but step out and it feels like February...
My daughter who lives inland about 50 mi from here had snow last week...we just got a bit of hail and freezing rain...It feels like Covid has pre-opted our weather too...;000
Stay safe and warm ~ ~ ~ waving from my nice warm recliner~ ~ ~
Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Lovely photos, er, except the poor silo. Makes me want to break out the paints. Certainly not boring.

ButterZ said...

Oh well, petrol prices here in Australia were about $1.40 per litre. Now they are about $1.00 a litre.

Denise :) said...

I filled my tank for $1.34/gallon last week. It blew my mind. The hoar frost is really pretty!! I wish we'd gotten snow ... any snow ... this past winter. We're into 80's starting today. Probably for a while! Tomorrow's a boat day -- and I won't have to bring a blanket! LOL!! :)

MissPat said...

Gas prices here in Avon have been $2.07 for several weeks now. Of course, it doesn't do much good when nobody's going anywhere. Well, it is good for the essential workers, I guess. I certainly hope we're done with the snow. The boy scouts delivered my flower order on Saturday and I have everything tucked in the house including two hanging baskets.
Pat

Janet O. said...

You are dealing with extremes--from fire to snow to golden sunset and frost. I think our last snowfall was in April.
That sure looks like hoarfrost to me, Sarah.
So you are going to get to switch more consistently to new colors in your temp. quilt.

Leonore Winterer said...

You've been having some crazy weathers again!

Our gas prizes are incredibly low as well right now. Less then $5 a gallon, I hven't seen that in years otherwise (of course we pay in € per liter, but I did the math for you).