Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Wednesday Weather Report #174 - 9/16/20

I hope today's photo doesn't end up being as political as some of what I've been ignoring online...

The news has been showing truckloads of mail boxes being removed but it's pretty much a non-issue in the small communities where I live and work. This mail box is one of 2 in the town where I work and it's outside the post office. The other box is at the bank drive through. There used to be a third just two blocks from the post office but it was removed a good 5 years ago as people just weren't using it enough to warrant staff checking it twice a day. There are only 4,600 people in this town so it was more about changing habits than an inconvenience. I mean, who can't walk the extra 2 blocks in a 3 block business district?

The smaller town where I live has one box in front of the post office.

September 9 - 15, 2020
83 - 73 - 56 - 70 - 66 - 61 - 61 F

In reality, anyone with rural delivery just has to put the flag up on the mailbox at the end of their driveway and the mail(wo)man will pick up what ever needs to be mailed when he delivers your daily mail.

How is the mailbox situation where you live?


7 comments:

Denise :) said...

Those boxes are rare sightings! I like your colors ... keep it up! :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Now I live on a mountain in California. We have only been here 4 months. The post person did not like the mailbox at the end of our drive. She didn't leave a message about it, just would not deliver mail. When I was expecting a package that was not delivered I drove the 1/2 hour down the mountain to the post office. The girl there is so nice and helpful. She explained the situation so I decided to just get a PO box. Most of my mail is digital so we only stop at the Post Office once a week when we go to town. UPS, Prime and Fed Ex all deliver to our gate at the end of the drive which is kept locked.
xx, Carol

Vireya said...

Your hexies look great against the blue.

We have a mailbox for delivery, but our posties do not collect mail, you have to deposit in a mailbox or at the post-office. I moved from the city where there was a post-office across the road and a mail box just next door to my house, to a small town with no mailbox or post-office. The nearest place to post mail is 12km away (about 7.5 miles), and it has taken me some time to get used to not being able to post stuff whenever I want.

Linda Swanekamp said...

My problem has been with FedEx losing packages for me. Packages have disappeared from tracking when they get to SmartPost Clinton PA for some reason. The USPS mail has been fine.

ButterZ said...

Yes, I am lucky to work next door to a post office. We have to deliver our post to the post office. We only get deliveries every second day to our homes with parcels not being left. A card is left to advise you can collect it from the post office.
A lot of our post offices are not open Sat & Sundays.

MissPat said...

Our post office is within walking distance (depending on the weather) and I think there are three mail boxes, one in front of the post office, one just a few yards away from the PO that people can drive up to and one in front of the bank. My husband, who sells political memorabilia online has encountered shipping delays and also lengthy delays on medications. When the local PO tracked some of them, they found that they were sitting in distributions centers, sometimes for weeks. Wegman's replaced one missing prescription, then the original showed up a few days later (but 3 weeks in transit). I'm voting in person.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I didn't know about this issues yet! Here in Germany, we can't mail stuff from our personal mailboxes, but there are enough public mailboxes to go around. I've never lived somewhere where there wasn't one in walking distance.