Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Darting Cardinals

Twice in the last week or so I saw quilts made with the darting bird block and that reminded me I had recently bought "Civil War Legacies-Quilt Patterns for Reproduction Fabrics."  The book is full of great patterns but my fav was the darting bird block and the universe was hinting it was time to get on to this project!


As I was reading the directions, I noticed that it suggested making all red birds for cardinals or all blue birds for bluebirds of happiness. I barely registered the bluebird bit as I adore cardinals and began pulling out my red scraps.


And that's really all you need to make these blocks since they are 3.5" unfinished and about 6" of each 1.5" strip is all that's needed. I must say that they are not as intuitive as my basket blocks to layout when I am chain piecing or leader/ender-ing (new word!!). I'm sure I'll get used to it and I would also guess that if you used more contrasting fabric it would be easier too. I'll also be making some female cardinals - maybe those will be easier...


4 comments:

Missy Shay said...

I love this block! I have the material to make my husband a quilt, with a lot of cardinals and this block would be perfect for it!

Janet O. said...

So how many of these little things will you be creating.
BTW, I am impressed that you get hints from the universe! : )

Ruth said...


They're darling.

Denise :) said...

Wow - these are beautiful. What would you do differently for the female cardinals? I really *love* the top, bright block! :)