Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

no more google reader??

As I logged in to Google Reader today I was given a little message that it would be discontinued in July of this year? What??? I guess they are going to focus their energies on other products...

I don't know about you but I had all my fav blogs signed up in Reader and it would tell me when someone posted something new, as opposed to my old method of going to my favorites list and opening each blog to see if something new was posted. That was such a waste of time and Reader was great for when I was behind...which was often.

I'm looking for any alternatives that you have tried and really like. My computer has Explorer 8 at this time if it makes a difference. TIA


PS - don't forget that Sunday, 3/17/13, is St Patty's Day!
PPS - Don't forget Sunday is also Hexie Linky Party Day...you didn't think I forgot again did you?! ;^)


8 comments:

Janet O. said...

I've never used Google Reader. I've always just used the "My Blogs" button on my dashboard. Probably not the most technically advanced method, but it works for me. New posts are at the top of the list--sometimes I start there and sometimes I scroll down to where I left off and work my way up.

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I just read and bookmarked a blog post that shows you how to use an alternative to Goggle Reader. Here's the link to the post.

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/how-to-move-from-google-reader-to-feedly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gimmesomeoven+%28gimme+some+oven%29

Hope that helps.

Missy Shay said...

I love the fact that in Google Reader, once you read a post it's gone and you know what still needs to be read! Let me know what you end up doing please.
Speaking of holidays, don't forget that Saturday is national quilting day!

Vireya said...

I'm a bit shocked as well. I will look into alternatives like Feedly, but apparently lots of the alternatives use Google Reader in the background, so now will have to be re-written or they'll stop working too.

Using "My blogs" won't work for me because I never "join" any blogs - I just read them. And lots of the things I use Reader for are not actually blogs you can join, anyway.

I guess it's part of the problem of free stuff - the provider of the free service can stop it at any time at their discretion. Will we all be presented with a similar message one day when trying to open Blogger?

Lisa said...

My Husband Told Me Feedly May Be A Good Option. It Is Running Google Reader Under The Hood Right Now, But Supposedly Will Move To There Own Stuff When Reader Is Turned Off. I Don't understand How It All Works, But He Is A Computer Guy And He Spent Some Time Looking For Something Free That Would Be A Good Option. Sounded Like It Was Easy To Move Your Feeds Over Too.

Lisa said...

My Husband Told Me Feedly May Be A Good Option. It Is Running Google Reader Under The Hood Right Now, But Supposedly Will Move To There Own Stuff When Reader Is Turned Off. I Don't understand How It All Works, But He Is A Computer Guy And He Spent Some Time Looking For Something Free That Would Be A Good Option. Sounded Like It Was Easy To Move Your Feeds Over Too.

Anonymous said...

I've been using Feedblitz.com for several years and like it.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

BetsyE said...

I was totally shocked too... just short of panicking! :-) I'm using Feedly now. It took me a while to get the settings so that I liked it... not really into the jumbled "magazine" type look. I like it now. Another I tried for a bit is The Old Reader. It looks very much like the old Google Reader. Both have ways to import your Google Reader feeds so you don't have to totally start over!