Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Design Wall Monday and some goodies but oldies

I put in a lot of time on my secret brown-bag-challenge project in the last week so there isn't a lot that I can share today. Luckily that project will be done before this weekend - a whole week early. Woohoo!


I'm now working on adding white sashing to a third blue rosette.

I had originally planned to take the sashed rosettes and the pile of yellow/orange rosettes and start putting them together while camping but I changed my mind!! Ha! I decided the pieces were too big to pack safely - I've got plenty of rosettes kitted up and I can continue to add white or gray sashing to any of the blue rosettes while camping.

I am also expecting to be asked to do another hexie trunk show later this summer so maybe it's also time to work on finishing some other smaller (ie quicker) projects that I can share. I just need to finalize what those little "quickies" will be. Don't worry, there are several to choose from! And BTW - I'll probably change my mind on all of this as the summer progresses (meaning before AND after camping).

I was again granted Friday's off work for July and August. They are historically labeled as No Housework Fridays meaning I can hike and sew to my hearts content All. Day. Long. Woohoo!!

I'm very excited that I just ordered a quilting ruler that I need to quilt my owl quilt and I also found out that a LQS is going to start carrying Westalee rulers. Just last week I printed out the 40+ page catalog and was trying to decide what to order, both for the owl quilt but also because I want a spirograph type design for the temp quilt. I doubt they will carry every ruler so that will help narrow my choices down!! My first Friday off will be 7/7 so you can expect to see some ruler quilting in the following blog post. That or just a picture of me in total breakdown mode, face shiny with tears. Lets hope for the first.

Dang this got wordy today. How about I share a couple goodies from my archives that I shared with Chantal yesterday:



This was from my foundation paper piecing days, before my current English paper piecing days. Yes!! I was once obsessed with something other than hexies.

I was too lazy to take it off the wall but the bottom is only 10" wide. I'm guessing that makes it just 12" or 13" high.


This wall hanging started from the snail trail cat pattern found in a magazine. I then learned of pieced letters from a blog and found the phrase on a cat-a-day calendar.

Can you see all the crosshatching around the cats? That was done by eye and it took FOREVER but it really makes the cats pop. The border has orange peels

I had intended to hang this over my bed when the bedroom was finally painted/redecorated but now I'm thinking it's kinda morbid for a bedroom (where I sleep alone/with my cat!) so I've decided to hang it in the Quilt Lab which is the next room to be redone. More people will see it in the lab so I think it's a win!

Linking to Design Wall Monday and Monday Making!


6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Several things came to mind as I read your uncharacteristically wordy post. First of all--you are very brave to work on white hexies while camping. Just sayin'.
Second--LOVE the mini Storm At Sea! I never knew you had a foundation piecing phase. I think in all the years I have known you you have been totally hexed! *LOL*
And finally, I had to laugh at your reasoning about hanging that cat wall hanging over your bed being morbid. But you are right that more people will get to enjoy it in the Quilt Lab!

Judy Hansen said...

I laughed about your comment about where to hang the cat/snails trail quilt. It will be seen more in your Quilt Lab, and I also love your small Storm At Sea. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday.

Jo said...

Good luck with your Westalee rulers. Make sure the timing is perfect in your machine. That's the most trouble everyone here seems to have... have fun.

Laura said...

This is my first visit to your blog. You do beautiful work!

margaret said...

good to see some of yur stitchery from the pst before I started following you. Hexies coming along well too. Hoping to see the westalee rulers demonstrated at the FOQ show in august I am sure they will not be as easy as the demonstrators make them out to be!

AnnieO said...

Lots of variety as usual! Love your cat quilt but not sure what is morbid about the phrase, lol. Words on quilts is so fun to do, but not easy.