Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, December 11, 2017

Quilty weekend

Woohoo!! I've got internet back at work - it was 3 of the longest days possible without internet radio to fill the silence. Zorro even got a fan letter that he was missed on Feline Friday. He was pretty chuffed.

Anyway - I spent every spare moment this weekend cutting and stitching. I had a blast to work on something for ME, even tho the need to work on gifts kept nagging me.


I spent Friday evening cutting fabric - first I wanted to cut the neutral and coral strips needed to make Bonnie's Mystery Clue #3. Then I cut the strips needed to make Straits of Mackinac, another Bonnie pattern. I've been collecting turquoise fabrics for some time to make Mackinac and it worked out great that the mystery is also using turquoise. I'll be thinking of a different name for my quilt but I'm not inspired yet...


Saturday I took all my strips to guild sit-n-sew to subcut for Clue #3 and for Mackinac. I probably would have made a little more progress on cutting if I had double checked my drawing. I cut the neutrals for the tri part of the tri-recs. I wasted a lot of fabric recutting them into the recs part. Live & learn!

I was also texting with a friend who was saying something to the effect of hoping to not lose track while cutting up to a high number. I've shared this before but I'll share it again...

If I were actually counting - this would be 140 pieces.

I use antique thimbles to count what I've cut. a thimble on it's side is 5 and standing up is 10. A button is 100. It's easy for me and I get to enjoy the vintage/antique thimbles, most of which don't even fit my pinky finger.

I did a little grocery shopping after guild and then spent the evening on the couch working on hexies. I watched Spare Parts. I love true movies!

Sunday morning was housework and then a work related Christmas party but I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening back in the quilt lab.


First I had to finish pressing Clue #2.


Then I had to sew and press Clue #3. Don't forget to check out the linky party today!!!

Am I the only person with a callus from ironing? I've had the callus on my hand for a while and never thought about it but with all the ironing with my (heavy on purpose) iron it was irritating the callous. Who knew...


I've got quite a little pile of bits for the mystery quilt so far. I'm excited for clue #4 but I really need to work on some gifts this week.


In the meantime I'll keep plugging away at my Mackinac blocks...lots of pressing to do...



9 comments:

mangozz said...

You are making really good progress! I finished the first two clues and have cut way too many for clue #3. At least I don't need to go back and cut more like I've had to do in the past. I will start sewing the units in a minute. This is the farthest I've gotten so early in the week. I was also looking for Zorro on Friday. Will he have a double post this week?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Ohhh, I love the turquoise and text. I have been saving/collecting text fabric and don't know what to make.

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Great neutrals!

Vireya said...

Hooray for being back on the internet!

That is a fascinating counting system.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How did we manage back in the day of no internet? Glad to have you back. Love the text fabrics. You are getting a lot done on a variety of projects.

MissPat said...

Welcome back to the online world. Other than the lack of music, wasn't it a refreshing break? I've been collecting text prints, too and using them as neutrals, although the text is too big on some of them to use in small units.
Pat

Annette Mandel said...

I've always wanted to name a quilt 'Teal we meet again'. Missed you and Z. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

Janet O. said...

I don't think I would be able to remember what a thimble upright or on its side stood for--or a button. :)

Jo said...

Wow you are doing well with your mystery blocks. Looks like lots of happy sewing going on.