Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Wednesday Weather Report #115 - 7/31/19

It's hard to believe that summer is half over tomorrow.  Boo!

We had a slow, wet creep into summer, then it got dreadfully hot several times and now we are finally getting comfortable. I would like to think it will stay comfy but that's not what generally happens in August...

July 24-30, 2019
75 - 76 - 80 - 82 - 82 - 84 - 76 F
And now to share the hexies I worked on during my vacations. That's right - 2 camping trips to 2 different parts of the Adirondack Mountains: 10 days by myself around Saranac Lake and Paul Smiths and then 4 days with the family near Inlet. It was a lot of driving (5 hours each way) but not such a struggle in the new car or with the mountains as my destination   :)


One of the first things I finished was sewing the bottom row of 4 blocks onto this kaleidoscope doll quilt. When I got home I measured it on the doll bed and it definitely needs another side row of 5 blocks so that's what I'll be working on during the fair in a couple weeks. The size won't be perfect for the bed but I have to work with the 4" block size and make the best of it.


Next I worked on these Salt & Pepper blocks. I haven't worked on them in quite a while so in case you don't remember the story: After my cat Pepper died I was quite upset and kept trolling Pinterest with no purpose in mind. This block kept coming up in many different forms so I felt it was a calling. My bloggy friends named the project.

The central 1" hexies are always white on black fabrics and the 1" jewels (my absolute fav hexie shape!) are always black on white fabrics. Not shown is the 2" diamonds made with burnt orange fabrics. Generally I only use the white fabrics once, unless it can be fussy cut several ways, but the blacks and oranges can be repeated. Considering that this is to be bed sized and I am only using the white fabrics once, I am kinda considering this a "lifetime" project since it'll take me that long to find so many white fabrics. With these blocks I now have 36 completed and 14 needing the diamonds for a total of 50 blocks. I think I have another dozen sets of white jewels already cut. I best lay out the blocks to see how many more I need. Or maybe I shouldn't find out just how many more I need just yet...


Last but not least I worked on this new doll quilt. Before my trips I only 1.25 sections of the colored hexies done. Adding the sashing after completing the first 2 sections was a PITA so now I'm adding it as I do the colored hexies. I measured the quilt today and I think it might be too long for the bed, this quilt might have to run across the bed and not down it. Oh well.

Why, do you ask, am I working on so many doll quilts again?? Well, I was asked to do another trunk show this October and I can finish a doll quilt much faster than a bed quilt. I was told to bring "everything," finished or UFO, but I would like to have as many things "finished" as I can so I'll hit up the UFO shelves as soon as these 2 doll quilts are done.

Don't forget to link up your weather post or tell us about your weather in the comments...


2 comments:

Denise :) said...

The doll quilt is *wonderful*! I love the cheddar ... it's really scrumptious! You had a productive trip!!! :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, it's lovely to see all those different projects! The black and orange quilt looks amazing, and I do love that salt-and-pepper project :)