Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Design Wall Monday - 3/27/17

For several reasons, I was pretty much a couch potato last week and ignored the pending painting in my bedroom. It seemed like a good time to start a project I had kitted up for later in the month. Oh well, there's still time to kit something else for my conferences.


The project started with the last 2 fat quarters of this cardinal fabric from a LQS - cardinals being my fav bird. I scrounged my Hexieology Pinterest board for ideas and found this one.  I liked it because it used the hexie thirds I had just finished using in my owl quilt. This would be the third project using various papers from the owl quilt. I like getting my money's worth :)


I had spent an evening fussy cutting from the 3 coordinated fat quarters and set it aside for one of my upcoming trips. Well, I had to make a practice hexie. I am sure you can understand.

After things went south I spent most of the weekend on the couch and out came the new project. After that it has been strictly an obsession to see it progress.


I did have snoopervision. Z spent 88 minutes sitting next to me. You may think it's funny that I tracked it but I can count on one hand the number of times that Z has sat with or on me in the last 3 years. The boys may not have gotten along very well but Z spent a week being cuddly and not eating much. Don't worry tho, he's back to his old antics and wanting to eat more than his share.


I had intended to make the quilt with the red thirds on the bottom but after emailing with my highly paid (cough!) consultant, we decided it should be rotated. In the end, no one will ever think of the other layout options and I'm happy with the 3D effect.

I was able to cut out enough thirds from the three FQs to make 41 hexagons. I plan to add another row to the right and then I'll extend the length and need to fill in the top and bottom to get this to the "proper" doll quilt size. I *think* I'll have enough fabric.

Can you believe my mother thought I had enough doll quilts? I. Don't. Think. So.

BTW - Don't forget to check Denise's post today. My  consultation "'enabled" her to order papers and start her own project. I told her she has no excuses when it's time to link to the next HeLP ...


7 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your new project is so cool (no I am not doing this one)!

Missy Shay said...

Zorro misses Bleu. :( It took Pippi four years to start sitting in laps, and I have had her since she was four weeks old, however she was a feral kitten. Maybe the same will be with Z. Custard will be four in May and she has slept on my lap once, a few weeks ago. Maybe she will start being cuddly in the next year. I'm loving your quilt!

Janet O. said...

So, is the cardinal fabric just what inspired your color scheme, or is it actually coming into the quilt somewhere along the way? It is a very classy looking little quilt.
Z is showing you the softer side of his manhood--but not too much of it at once or you might have expectations of it all the time.
Have your Mother define exactly what qualifies as "enough" doll quilts. Is there still room to stack another one somewhere--anywhere? Not enough yet!

Denise :) said...

LOL! I'm glad we work so well together!! Pals for life!! I really do love the way this project looks. Your dimension shows up a lot better than mine does. And you know how I feel about too many dolls quilts. NO SUCH THING! Bahahahahaaa!!! :) ps...April 17th is Todd's birthday! :)

margaret said...

Like you Zorro is missing Bleu maybe he will get more cuddly now. Catherine`s dog is missing Sofie and now barks continously when left on his own.
Hexies looking good and think it is you good to have the weekend relaxing and stitching the bedroom painting can wait

Pamela said...

Gorgeous!

Jo said...

I'm glad you are enjoying Z.. yep he is missing Bleu... your hexie project is looking really good