Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, December 09, 2019

Quiltville Mystery Clue #2 and Tiny Trees

Bonnie's second clue for her annual mystery quilt was released Friday morning. I had our annual Hexie Club Christmas party Friday night and an art fair to vend at Saturday so that left Sunday to spend in my Quilt Lab playing catch up.


As in the past, I am making about half the number of required units since this allows me to keep up better with the weekly clues.


When I put my paired berry/neutral rectangles into my Jolly Green Giant box, it looked like a paltry little pile of units. I know it's only about half what the pattern calls for but I'm thinking we'll be getting socked with tons of hard blocks any Friday now...

Next up I wanted to play catch up with Temecula's Tiny Tree blocks. The pattern calls for making 1 block a day for 2 weeks but I figured I  might as well make 5 as make 1 and then I'll have 4 gifts :)


First I did block #1 - Friendship star


Next up was #2 - Broken Dishes

And that leaves me with just 3 more to catch up plus today's block. Easy Peasy, right?! Except for all those tiny HST that can drive a person insane. Thankfully I had already bit the bullet and bought a blockloc ruler to assist with all the trimming on my shoo fly blocks. Little did I know how much I would use that little ruler.

2 more things:
First, Janet and I discovered that she has only worked on hexies this week and I have only done machine work, on tiny blocks, this week. It's generally the complete opposite and was a little strange for both of us.


Possibly the best part of the whole day was someone near and dear to my heart actually asking for attention. Yes I quickly put the rotary cutter away and then offered lots of smooches and cuddles, right there on the cutting mat. Wonder how long before this happens again...


5 comments:

Julierose said...

Love those little broken dishes...hugs, Julierose

Vireya said...

I agree, there must be some extreme mystery sewing to come, as the first two clues have been so simple and small.

mangozz said...

Well, you're ahead of me. I'm still pulling fabric and scrambling to gather more fuchsia, which I don't have. I didn't want to buy any special fabric for this quilt, using up some of my stash instead, but I did order one more fuchsia for a little variety at least. I am eager to start sewing as I will fall behind miserably if I don't get going soon. Your units look great. Are you just making half the units for now and planning on catching up later? Or will you use the blocks for a smaller finish?

Denise :) said...

Look at you go!! I'm having fun watching everyone that's doing both Frolic *and* the Temecula trees!! Look at Z...he's adorable!!!! :)

Leonore Winterer said...

What a lovely collection of blocks, but I agree, there's a serious lack of hexies here!