Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, June 09, 2011

UFO Thursday

Hah! Bet you thought I was gonna talk quilts today, didn't you?! Sorry, but I can't even remember the last time I turned the machine on - too many meetings and rescue calls and rain and headaches and and and... Luckily my summer Friday's off were approved so I am looking forward to July and August. Last year I didn't have time to drive down to Penn Yann to get my Bernina serviced so that is #1 on my Friday agendas.

Instead of quilts, I'll show you some other UFO's in the yard:

It was finally dry enough to till the veggie garden and I've got about half of it planted with potatoes, onions, tomatoes, purple peppers and spaghetti squash. I still need to add the glad bulbs (over several weeks for longer bloom time), the plants you see there (romaine, broccoli, cauliflower) and radish, leaf lettuce and snow pea seeds. Yes, I carpeted my garden as it keeps down the weeds. Hammock - I know you are waiting for me - please be patient and I'll be out soon...


This is the nursery, commonly known as a side porch. There are 5 hosta, 2 sedum and 2 ladies mantle for a new garden bed that I have planned. There are also some other random plants (wild ginger, lilies, yellow firecracker, etc) that I still need to find spots for. The newest addition is the "My Love" peony - it just jumped into my car as I slowly drove past Palmiter's Nursery last weekend. I just couldn't resist the blossom size, color and the perfume of this one over the yellow one I was also interested in. Unfortunately, overnight it dropped most of the petals on 2 of the 3 blooms.


Finally there is this uber rock that I found beside a corn field. Can you see my skeeter biten foot for size? It was a struggle to get it in and out of my little car but the lady who pulled over and helped me get it in the car was a life saver. It almost looks like Oz upside down. I think I'll place this in front of my new hanging hose reel so I can step on it in that new flower bed I mentioned above.


On the bright side, literally, I am thrilled to have enough flowers in the gardens for continuous vases at work. Today we have purple lupins, purple jacob's ladder, purple iris, yellow iris and white peony. The scent at my desk is heavenly and almost hides the piles of work to do...

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

We've had a similar problem with wet weather--and we're a desert state! Just got the garden in Monday--three weeks late--and put the bedding plants in yesterday, just before another storm.
Beautiful bouquet.

Anonymous said...

Nothing brightens up a desk at work like fresh flowers - beautiful.