Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Design Wall Monday - 12/14/15

Here we are again, mid-December and breaking more weather records!!! It's currently 67F (18C) and Rochester is supposed to be 70F. It's making it very hard to get into the holiday spirit. I went up to the city for some gift shopping on Friday and while the weather was perfect for driving so much, everything is just a brown/green mess :( People are still out trying to overdecorate to make up for the lack of snow but it's just not the same...

One of my co-workers, who's job is to plow the roads, is thrilled with the weather and has "promised" to bring a snow machine to fill my yard for Christmas in exchange for not having to plow any roads yet. Of course, it needs to be near freezing for that gift to work! Keep your fingers crossed as we are forecast to get less than an inch this Friday and then it will be back into the 50s for the rest of the year...

Anyways...after all day shopping in Rochester Friday, cleaning house and errands on Saturday and hosting a work Christmas party at my house yesterday I was able to squeeze in some machine sewing. I am seeeeeeewwwww far behind on this project for little Ryan that it's getting a little scary but I've set some daily goals and I think in the end it will be fine.


I just need to press 128 seams tonight and sew the twosies into foursies tonight. That means only 64 seams to press tomorrow. LOL.

I will admit, my annual holiday shopping trip involves a long side trip to a quilt store I visit every December. I found another new hexie fabric, a black and white and some choco fabrics I need for a February project.


I also came across what I thought was a stunning giraffe fabric. Giraffes are one of my 2 favorite animals. I knew I would use if for the backing on another dolly bed project but had no idea what pattern. I kept stalling and stalling the urge to search my pinterest board for ideas with getting ready for the party but I finally gave in last night and not only picked a pattern but also have 75% picked the fabrics. I am not sure there is enough of the cream so I might add in a bit of the olive green to make the pattern more my own. I'm not sharing the pattern pic just yet but I'll tell ya it uses 1.5" hexagons and 6-point diamonds. How's that for a tease??!! I am hoping picking the pattern and fabric will get the urge for a new project out of my system until next year, esp since I need to finish Christmas presents, but I will promise nothing...


7 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a fun gift--I hope the temp cooperates!
You have had a very busy weekend, girl!
What a surprise that your pattern of choice uses hexies.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I know! The weather is crazy - not good for our fruit trees though. BUT I am getting more walking time in. I did not know about the giraffes - mental note to self. That is great fabric. Stay on track girl and you will get done.

margaret said...

here it is mild fr winter too but not aas mild as you are having.Have you a clover mini iron, I treated myself a couple of weeks ago and love it for pressing seams, it seems to take a while to heat up but once hot it does a great job and does only the seams as it so small. Best of luck with your pressing! This is one gadget I highly recommend

Chantal said...

This weather is just too much! My son's fiancé is visiting us. She said three Texans moved up here and broke New Hampshire. It really made me laugh. I am oh so disappointed that there will probably not be a white Christmas! I love your giraffe fabric. A new project is always fun. Good luck on the frantic stitching you are doing.

Carla said...

You can do it Sarah! We have a tiny bit of snow and are supposed to get more the week of Christmas. -3 right now so I'm under a quilt, knitting ; )
Have a lovely Christmas with your adorable cats

Marti said...

You did all that and STILL had time for sewing? I am in awe of you! What a thoughtful co-worker to bring you snow for Christmas. We don't normally have snow in December so I don't miss it that much, but I agree that it's just too warm to get into the holiday spirit.

Jo said...

Wow. We are hitting the 40 c today. And 41 tomorrow.
I'm about to go open my gifts.... A bit of me time before bed.....