Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Saturday, January 17, 2015

HeLP for Hexie-aholics!!!

Today is one of my favorite days of the month. OK, it's also one of the best days of the year but that's a whole different story. Today is my fav day of  the month because it's time for a hexie linky party (HeLP)!!!! The party is open to projects of any stage (vintage or new, dreams or UFO) and I can't wait to see what you've worked on this month!

On Monday I asked for your help in picking a setting fabric for my flying swallows piece and promised to later tell you what the "rush" was...

The vote for purple or turquoise was a very close/almost tie but when someone (altho Denise will remain nameless) let me know that my three cats had all voted turquoise, I decided to cave to the peer pressure and run with it.

I just got the cardstock I needed to make the setting templates so I hope to finish this weekend. For everyone who voted for purple, it will either be used as another border or the binding...time will tell.

Last year I was asked to pick a date to do a hexie trunk show for our local Meals & Memories senior luncheon at the church a block from my house. I picked the last possible date so that I would have more items to show and made a half-a$$ effort to move forwards with projects, not putting as much effort in to it the last 4 months as I should have.

Last weekend I was also asked to do a trunk show for my guild. Cathy asked if I could do it in March and I nearly chocked on my lunch. As all y'all know, I am more of a starter than a finisher, prefering to enjoy the journey, and have very few finished hexie projects so I asked if it could be later in the year...like around October, which worked out perfectly.

This is a belated gift - a dishtowel adorned with what I think is the most adorable turkey. I didn't think my embroidery skills were up to par but it doesn't look half bad in the photo. Yeah me! I hope the recipient likes it as much as I do!

I don't know about you, but doing a trunk show for my own guild feels like a lot of pressure to be "fantastic." I already had a list of my hexie UFOs so I started by picking a few easy-to-finish projects and some long term projects that won't be finished but I'll have a large UFO to share construction methods from the front and back. I was encouraged to explain fussy cutting and different paper shapes at the guild show so I tried to pick a variety of projects.

Yes...he was as thrilled to pose as he looks!

This is the 10th full size block that I have finished for the Value Proposition QAL. I also have 2 half blocks done. 8 full and 2 half blocks left to finish!!!! I think I'll spend a little time this weekend kitting up a few more of these blocks...

My goal (hahahahahaha) is not to start any further new projects and I hope y'all will help me stick to that!!! My exception was starting Katja's New Hexagon Millefiore. Even if I can only sorta keep up, by October this should be fantastic!

I had decided to fussy cut first and then fill in the rest. I'm not sure that was the best order to work this block but I am loving the fussy cut choices I had originally made. I think I need more green towards the center and more pink towards the outside but I might still change my mind. I want to baste what I fussy cut this morning before I decide.

I do  have a subtle white stripe for the outside hexies which will replicate Katja's sample. The original black fabric has some white so I don't think it will stick out too much...or maybe I just need to use some in the center.

See why I have so many UFOs?? Indecision...

Mom even said I could borrow one of her smaller trunks. Yipper...stole that idea from Janet when she did her mini trunk show and had a mini trunk.

Ok, my friends - it's time to tempt me with your projects...show me what 'cha got and cross your fingers I don't cave to more peer pressure! 264 days until TS#1!




11 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Your Millefiori is looking marvelous!!! I did a trunk show for a retreat group last year and enjoyed it tremendously. But the amount of work I put into it was unbelievable :) You'll do great!!!

Julierose said...

Your piece is gorgeous. I tried to link up but couldn't do it...hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your work is just wonderful! Even if you don't finish - I think they would love to see 'in progress'. I know I like to see how the journey began, evolved, and we all have those - so can relate. But oh my - the last one catches me on how you plan.

Turid said...

I love all your hexies. And I love all hexies, and can't get enough of them. Will link up tomorrow.

Leatina @ GeoMama said...

People who don't EPP don't get how addictive it is. Glad you are running a monthly support group for us. Your projects are looking great and look forward to seeing your finishes over the next few months.

Carla said...

Nice Sarah. It will be fun to see your millefiori progress too. Circling swallows is Katja's logo for her shoppe.
Pretty ; )

Angie in SoCal said...

The Millefiori looks exciting already with all that fussy cutting.

Janet O. said...

Okay, Sarah, I linked up.
Good call on the turquoise, and I'm glad you did it without calling attention to DENISE!!! : )
Yes, I can understand the pressure to be amazing! And I'm glad you are able to use a trunk for your trunk show. Love it!
Oh, my! That Millefiore project is astounding!!

Denise :) said...

You are so talented! Your trunk show will be fabulous!! I love your little turkey -- too cute -- I am positive your recipient will be absolutely thrilled with it!! Happy Birthday to you, my darling friend!!!! I hope you've had a marvelous, wonderful day!!! :)

Denise :) said...

Ps...thanks for not ratting me out. ;)

Karen H said...

I like seeing WIP or UFOs when a quilter does a trunk show. It gives me some insight into the creative process! It is also a great opportunity to discuss finishing options with the audience! I'm doing a trunk show in April and I plan to take some of my WIPs! Your swallows block is so pretty and I think turquoise is a lovely choice for the background!