Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Selvages

For year's I've had a copy of Karen Griska's book "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" and I also follow her blog which regularly features projects from people around the world. That of course, means I have also been collecting selvages both from my own purchases but also giving homes to selvages of friends and my LQS (and there *is* more room if you are looking for a non-smoking, cat hair covered, hexie obsessed home for your selvages...I'm even willing to trade).

What I'm really getting at is that my inability to pick a project to use the selvages I have has lead them to accumulate but not become anything. Until this morning...

Riel at Q&U has a tutorial to make Simple Selvage Squares that eventually become a basket weave style quilt and I periodically reread it when I catch up on her blog. This morning I had about 30 minutes to work on something.

I wasn't in a hexie mood (did the earth just stop rotating?) and I wasn't mentally ready to start the blue string blocks for Orca Bay. I turned towards my Bernina and there sat a pile of selvages from cutting red FQs. It was TIME to just go ahead a make a block. I had read the tute so many times I had it memorized and in no time I had not just one but two blocks done. Woot Woot!


I trimmed my blocks to 6.5" instead of Riel's 6". I also tried to use my walking foot to eliminate some of the puckering I had on the first block but it just seemed awkward with the small pieces of fabric so I went back to my good old #37 or quarter inch foot. (A really good pressing ironing eliminated all puckers!)

This project uses white thread instead of my normal Master Piece gray for piecing so it's not really a leader-ender style project...meaning it's also not a hurry up and gitter done project since I want to make sure the selvage colors are mixed throughout all the blocks. I'll probably cut at least one 7" section from each selvage I currently have and put them in a basket for when I have some no-brain-needed sewing time.

Yet another NewFO for January...

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, my. You even have a Marie Osmond selvage!! : )
I have been sending my selvages to another blogger, but they rarely ever even acknowledge when they receive them. I would be happy to switch and send them to you. Just give me some ground rules. How much fabric do you need alongside the selvage, do you just want white stripes with printing, do you take the plain white with no printing and do you use the selvages where the fabric design comes clear to the edge? I don't ask much, do I?

Denise :) said...

Way to go, you ... packing in those NewFO's! I think the sun actually did go black for a second today...the shift in the hexagonal paragrim. Or something. LOL! :)

Michelle said...

It's good to start something different sometimes.

Me and My Stitches said...

Now this is a long way from hexies! I was saving selvages for awhile, then I decided that I didn't need something else to do - so I threw them all away! Sure could have sent them your way if I'd known you were collecting.