Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sew - this morning as I was trying to think of something to post about I remembered these three books I got for Christmas.

Ah, yeh, I am obsessed enough to have a jar completely devoted to EPP parts. A small mason jar holds the hexies for current projects... these are the someday parts...


Back to the books...specifically the one on the bottom titled "American Quilts" which is a history of quilting from 1780 to 2007. She's a heavy book but that's just from the quantity of information she contains :)

My favorite photo so far is this one...


The man's name is Albert Small and he holds the world's record for the quilt with the most pieces. This book measures hexie sizes across the paper piece instead of along one side so it's a little hard to gauge the size of his hexies but I read that there were 15 hexies per square inch. And y'all thought *I* was insane!

Albert started quilting after teasing his wife on the amount of time she spent quilting. In order to make his world's record quilt he spent 4 hours a day (after his full time dynamite job at a quarry) 6 days a week for 3 or 4 years! I think I also read that he "only" finished 3 quilts. Of course this was in addition to all his other hobbies. I would love to find a better copy of the above photo to recplicate some of the designs but everything I can find online has very small scale photos. I'll just have to wing it and design my own quilt.

Feel free to Google Albert as there are some pictures of his quilts online...

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Fifteen per square inch?!? Yikes!! That is an unreal accomplishment--I can't even fathom what he did. And you want to duplicate some of the designs--on a similar scale?

Michelle said...

I would love to see it in colour.
36,000 pieces OMG.
I think my hexie's will have between 3,500 to 4,000 pieces when I'm finished, but I can't even imagine doing all those hexie's.

Me and My Stitches said...

Amazing! And people think I'm crazy! I think you should duplicate the whole quilt. You're the Queen - I'm sure you can handle it.