Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Hexie updates and Twist to the 60s with Batiks Hop

Some of you may have heard I dabble in something called hexies. It's just something I tinker with once in a while. LOL! Constantly is more like it!

We have a monthly Hexie Night at our LQS - either working on our own projects or swapping fabric squares to all make the same project. I also sometimes teach new patterns or pieced hexie designs. We play games, have holiday parties, bring snacks to share and we also have a birthday club. At the meeting in their birth month the birthday girl receives (7) 3/4" basted hexies from all the other girls. 

On the bottom row, due this month, are batiks, 2 reds and earthtones.
On the top row, for future months, are red, green and purple.
Forgot to photo the whole stack of purples for my own birthday :)

I know one of the first recipients of red hexies found the perfect black fabric with tiny red roses. She has the roses in the center of each hexie rosette. I haven't seen what the other girls have made yet. My birthday is just around the corner and I'm looking forward to my purple hexies. I'm also making some of my own since I'll be making this pillow I found on Pinterest and I'll need quite a few hexies:
 
Click picture for Pinterest link!

And this is a new project - which was hidden on my design wall photo from Monday. I know I need another new hexie UFO like a hole in the head but one of the days shortly after Pepper died I just couldn't get my act together and decided to peruse Pinterest, evil website that it is, to get out of my funk. It worked!

This project will have fussycut black on white and white on black fabrics just like you see in this photo. I have ordered diamond papers that will fit in around the star. When a number of stars are put together, the bright fabrics I'll use for the diamonds will look like tumbling blocks. I guess it's the black mood I was in versus the brightness of happier times? I'm still working on a name for this project... Suggestions??


Yikes! Almost forgot to remind y'all to visit today's Hoppers!
I *just might* have mine done in time for Friday!! Wootwoot!

Gracie Oliver Arts
How ART You?
Creatin in the Sticks
Sew Peace to Peace
Meadowbrook


8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love the jeans pillow - I have some chambrey shirt backings that would work great for this.

Janet O. said...

Purple hexies--what more could a girl want for her birthday?!? : )
When I looked at the pillow, for just a second that single hexie flower to the side appeared to be a butterfly. Now I want to try that. Three hexies in a row for the body--two on each side make the wings. Can you see it in black for the body with batik wings?

Scrapatches said...

That is a very inspiring pillow. Looking forward to your batik hexies ... :) Pat

Missy Shay said...

I love that blah blah fabric! I would wait to name it until you have a few more made, but I was thinking "Shooting Stars".

margaret said...

love what you have done with the old jeans, maybe I will make some of these as have a few pairs passed down form my girls. See hobbycraft have the sizzex big shot on offer till tomorrow night for £50, cannot decide whether I should or not.

Denise :) said...

Yeah -- I love the jeans pillow! But I'm holding out for my very own jean jacket. LOL!! Love your new project ... especially the "blah blah blah" part! What a fun print!! I'd have to see a little more of it to suggest a name ... just based on the blah's, though, "What's in a Name" comes to mind! :)

Chantal said...

Hi Sarah! Love all your hexie-ing! Your new project looks fabulous. What about Salt and Pepper! In remembrance of your kitty!

Carla said...

Cute pillow!