Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Design Wall Monday - 6/15/15

After doing some rain dodging, weeding, plant rearranging, teaching a class and taking the ambulance on several rescue calls and standby at a 5K for the local Girl Scouts, I was actually able to get a little bit of sewing done. Woohoo! I'll share my hexie accomplishments on Wednesday for HeLP for Hexie-aholics...today you get to see my machine sewing.

Yipper, I still do own a working sewing machine. LOL. And since I was just approved for my summer Friday's off, I need to schedule a spa treatment for my Bernina. I actually take my machine to a lovely Mennonite place about 1.5 hours south of here because I can schedule an appointment and take my machine home with me in ~3 hours, instead of dropping my machine at the closer dealer and getting it back a week or more later. I also like the Penn Yann Sewing Center because they offer a map of local quilt stores, fabric stores, restaurants and other sights to see. Yes, there is a HUGE difference between quilt and fabric stores in Mennonite/Amish country!!


I have now finished 15 mini sister's choice blocks from my class with Bonnie Hunter. These blocks are 5" finished so I was thinking that if I put 1 more row of sister's choice blocks and then the fun "sticks & stones" border on each end, the table runner would end up 15" x 40"...a nice size for a mid-sized black and white cat who likes to adorn my table runner clad dining room table =^..^= I would really like 2 more rows of sister's choice blocks to keep it more symmetrical but then it would be longer than fabric is wide for the backing and I think I'm just too lazy to do that at this point...I'm aiming for a finish on this baby! I'll make a final decision after I finish 3 more blocks and 2 borders.


I also worked on some more box kite blocks for the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge. The theme color for June is light blue. As you can tell, my definition of 'light' blue wavers as I find different scraps to use! It's a little hard to tell from the photo but the middle block on the bottom row uses geese fabric for the neutral. It's a little too busy but I couldn't resist doing just one block with it. I'll be making more blocks as time allows...hopefully at least 4 more before month's end.




8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Always surprising to find machine sewing in your posts. : )
Sister's Choice is on my bucket list. Now you have me considering making it in mini. I like your choice of yellow points.
The geese background fabric is a hoot! Looks like that kite landed in the farmyard!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've done the larger Sisters, but love the minis so may borrow your idea.

margaret said...

well can`t say you are lazy! you have certainly been extra busy away from the stitching. Blocks look good and love that goose fabric, I have said no more fabric this year unless it is for a specific project as I have far too much already but might just have to look out for the geese!

Karen H said...

Those sister's choice blocks with the yellow points are just so pretty! It is so nice to have Fridays off in the summer and with all that extra time I'll be expecting great things from you!

Sewgreen said...

I love your mini sister's choice blocks

Sewgreen said...

I love your mini sister's choice blocks

Missy Shay said...

You have the same philosophy of what size your quilts end up as me, laziness. LOL When a person is busy, you just don't always have time to do as much as you would like. I like your blocks!

gayle said...

I'd been thinking about a smaller version of Sister's Choice as a possible next quilt - you're nudging me further in that direction. Love your blocks!