Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Puttering along...

I’ve actually been working on 2 projects but there hasn’t been any significant visual progress to post a photo. I’ve got ¼ of the orange and black log cabin blocks done. I’ve also finished the binding on my strips and curves quilt and I’m working on hiding all the ends. I think it needs a bit more quilting so I hope to get that finished this weekend…which will mean more ends to hide. Somehow that is the worst part for me, I just find it dreadfully boring to hide ends. At least the new glasses help – it’s much easier to do handwork and watch TV or movies at the same time. Recently I have watched Wicker Man, Lady in the Water and Step Up while I was stitching. All were thumbs up movies.

I think the next step will be to wash the S&Cs quilt. Any suggestions? I'm relatively new to FINISHING quilts so I haven't washed very many. My LQS sold me a special quilt soap and told me to wash them in front loading washers only. As it is, I only have access to the laundry room at my apartment complex but must I really go sit in a laundromat to find a front-loader??

I had to go for more medical tests today. Strange, this odyssey started to check my eyes (my thyroid and the eyes are fine!) but now I need a nerve test of my left arm and the knee MRIs indicated I need to see another orthopedist. I was injured 12 years ago with a repetitive twist injury over the course of a 4-summer job as well as that little horse that kicked me and nothing has ever really been done besides 4 sessions of PT. It seems I have swelling, possible fracture and unknown meniscus damage. Oh and they want more tests for other problems...hopefully all will be solved soon cuz this is costing me precious quilt money :)

2 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Front-loading machine only? That's the first time I've ever heard that. Maybe for a king-sized quilt. I've always washed in my regular washing machine on the delicate or "hand wash" cycle. Never had a problem.
If you've got lots of ends to hide, sounds like you need to learn to do continuous binding where you sew all the binding into a big long strip of fabric and just do folding at the corner. Much easier. You can probably find instructions for that on the web or a book somewhere...

Sarah said...

Thanks Tonya - I'll have to check if our "public" washing machines have the delicate cycle. I'm fairly certain they don't have hand wash.
Also, for hiding the ends I was really referring to ends from quilting, not the binding. the quilting is all circles (but not spirals) so there are a lot of ends. I have heard that you can take a few miniscule stitches when starting and stopping and just cut off the thread but I just don't trust it yet. Maybe someday...