Yesterday I pulled out the fabrics for the side panels of my latest hexie doll quilt. Each was a half yard but I found it interesting that the fabric on the right, from a distant store and the fabric on the left from the LQS were different sizes. 18.5" from the LQS and 19.5" from the non-LQS. A big difference in my eyes...and so appreciated.
Any way, I cut a 23" long piece of the fabric and simply sewed them side by side. I felt that this would make it more stable with less puckering when appliqueing the hexies to the top.
I have a few more papers to remove and then I will spray baste the hexies so that it will look something like this next photo. I am still debating with myself if I should put a strip of batting behind the hexie part for a fake-trapunto effect.
Once the hexies are spray basted and machine appliqued in place, I will place the whole piece on the doll bed and determine how wide I want each side panel and them trim them off. I could have spent forever debating how far off center I want the hexie strip before assembly but finally decided that this might make my life simpler. We shall see...
And, you can see here that Squeaky (otherwise known as Honey Bear or Dolly) is just thrilled to pieces that her fall dolly bed quilt is getting closer to completion!