Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, July 06, 2021

The Bibliophile Files - 7/6/21

Hello and welcome to this month's reading list! We are past the half way mark on both the calendar and my challenge to finish 90 books for the year. Woot!! Thank god for free books from the library - I would go broke buying all these books.   

FINISHED
      The Bookwoman of Trouble Creek - Inspired by the blue-skinned people of Kentucky and the Pack Horse Library Service
      The Lost Apothecary - An aspiring historian finds and researches an antique apothecary bottle found at low tide in the Thames River while on what was supposed to be her tenth anniversary trip to London.
      What Makes Us - this is a nature versus nurture story of why we are the way we are.
      Trell - Based on true events, it's the story of a has-been reporter, along with the help of a neighborhood kid, who solves a murder after the wrong person has been jailed the teen's lifetime.
      Extinction - a multimillionaire tycoon wants to sponsor an endangered species management program while also pushing his (harmful) mining project.
      Lilac Girls - Inspired by the true story of a NY socialite during WWII, this book looks at the intersection of 3 women: the socialite, a polish teenager helping the resistance and a German female doctor at an internment camp. I can't wait to read the next 2 books in this series.
      The Survivors - Going home always brings up the past and The Survivors, statues over a shipwreck, have witnessed a lot of things...
      This is What I Know About Art - from a series of "pocket change" books meant to share knowledge in a quick format. Unfortunately, this was not the topic to glance over, I didn't learn anything or become invested in the author or her career evolution.
      The Music Of What Happens - 2 teenagers revamp a food truck to pay the mortgage before the house is in foreclosure but find each other in the process.
      Sasha Masha - written by a transgender author about a teenager deciding if he is trans himself.
      Crescendo - the story takes place during the Depression. He's a music genius by age 3 but his poor family pushes him away from his talents - which he eventually returns to.
      Poemsia - While I expected a lot more poetry, this book evolved into a lesson on how fast you can rise in social media and how quickly you can also fall.
      Mexican Whiteboy - the half Mexican teen is too Mexican for his White friends and too White for his Mexican friends. He visits his relatives for a summer and learns to fit in between both worlds.
      The Disappearing Act - I thought I had this solved in the first few pages, thinking it was the same "formula" as several other recent books but boy was I wrong. I'm not saying anything else :)
      Dust - Not only should there be a rule about no music in audiobook recordings but there should be a rule about no huge cliffhangars. This book is a followup to Peter Pan but it ends as soon as the characters find out how to get back to Neverland. The problem is, they don't arrive until the next book in the series, which my library system doesn't carry. Grr.

IN PROGRESS

And now it's your turn! What have you read recently? Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box!


6 comments:

Vireya said...

Libraries are a lifesaver! I get most of my books, and all my audiobooks, from the library.

ButterZ said...

I can’t believe that you get through so many books. I struggle to read one a year. Well done Sarah.
Have you done anything with your birthday cake quilt.

Denise :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise :) said...

Our local library just recently partnered with Hoopla ... I'm really enjoying a vastness of Hoopla's digital materials! I finished The Lost Apothecary yesterday. That was a good read; I was really pleased by the ending and completely caught off guard TWICE by the two twists in the modern day narration. Have you read A Gentleman in Moscow? It's fabulous. I read it in 2018, but listened to it last month. The audio version was wonderful. I'm reading Mary Stewart's The Moon-Spinners and The Alice Network right now. Trying to decide what I'll listen to next! Read on! :)

MissPat said...

Every month I promise myself to keep track of my recent finishes for this list (so I don't have to go to my OWWL history or Goodreads) and every month I forget. So I'm currently reading Big Summer by Weiner, Keep Sharp by Dr. Sanja Gupta and listening to the Dutch House. I was listening to Obama's Promised Land, but Libby snatched it back (there are still holds on it). I need to get some new ear buds for my phone since the old ones don't fit the new phone (why do they do that?).
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know any of your books this month, but usually I find a couple to add to my list!
I'm reading From Twinkle, With Love at the moment. I ended up hating the protagonist more than I love her, but than I guess that's very realistic teenage behaviour she's displaying!