Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, February 02, 2017

Tshirt Quilt update

I know I promised pictures of my hike at Bath National Cemetery this week, but Janet inspired me to work on my tshirt quilt and so I did...


I admit, the top has been done for many years - maybe since I moved back from Miami in 2008 or maybe just shortly after that. It's 88" square.

It was fun to revisit these tshirts - tatting, Circle K, Ballons over Letchworth, Wagga Wagga/Yerong Creek, Ronald McDonald House, Dance for Teddi, Nashville, The Miami Circle, El Valle/Panama.


Hmm...I even made the binding already ...


I also admit to buying the flannel for the back about 4 or 5 years ago. I had even gotten so far as cutting 8 of the 9 pieces to size already - I just needed to cut the center. And then it was put back in a drawer to be ignored for years. It only took a couple hours of dedicated time last night (despite the fluffernutters assistance) to get this into one piece.

The original plan was to not use a batting. It's a heavy quilt with the tshirts and interfacing and then the flannel for the back, so I thought it would be mighty warm enough. When I look at the quilt now, there is a lot more fabric versus tshirt material. What do you think? Will it be ok without batting?


Either way, it's now been placed on top of the pile of 'tops with backs'. If I still go with no batting, and this weekend works out, I can get the top 2 basted.


My other exciting news is that I finished adding on the second side this morning. Wooo Hoo!!

I've got an EMT seminar on Saturday and it's retreat weekend #1 - Hopefully I can get a lot more done...


6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is one big T-shirt quilt! We always use a very low loft polly batt (cotton adds weight). But then we have our long armer do them - I can't handle these on my home machine.

Missy Shay said...

Great job! I guess it just depends on what time of ear you want to use your quilt. If it is in the winter, definitely use batting since New York is cold. If you want to use it all year, then save the money and don't use batting. It would also depend on how well you want the quilting to show.

margaret said...

what a good eay to use tea shirts though they must have been treicky to sew though if old maybe not got the stretchy stuff added sorry forgot what it is called! Binding fabric looks so good. Hexies look lovely the turquoise blue sets them off wonderfully, fingers crossed you get your tops basted this weekend that is the part I hate most

Janet O. said...

Like Sharon, I put low loft poly batting in my t-shirt quilts. Gives them a little softness and body without really adding to the weight.
That is a good looking t-shirt quilt--and Bleu has taken to the modeling job quite nicely. : )
Exciting progress on the hexie quilt, Sarah!!

Jo said...

Nope, I'd go with the batting. It will be so warm and cuddly.

creations.1 said...

I think I would go with the batting also - such a lovely quilt and idea. Your other quilt is looking fantastic!