Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

The Bibliophile Files - 1/8/18

Hello and welcome to another year of The Bibliophile Files, which is my monthly list of finished books.

I finished 2018 with 77 books bringing my total recorded number of read books to 702. Sadly I can't remember what year I started using shelfari before it migrated to goodreads in 2016 but that's still a LOT of books. Thankfully I have access to a fantastic library system and my local librarian doesn't mind ordering special requests once in a while.

My goodreads.com 2018 summary says I read listened to 25,856 pages with my shortest book having just 33 pages, the longest 1,014 and my average was 335 pages. Those are some pretty respectable numbers, even if I didn't finish my goal for the year.  I blame that on reading a couple 1000+ page books. A good excuse, right??!!

For 2019 I'm sticking with the same goal of 90 books and 8 days in I'm still on track to finish that goal. Bwahahahaha! We'll see if I can keep up the pace. I just realized I should look up a reading challenge for the year since I didn't do one last year.

FINISHED
     Murder, Interrupted - written by Patterson but based on true stories that have been made into a TV show. There are 2 more audiobooks in the series.
     Whiskey Sour - a new to me police procedural series. The lead detective is named Jacqueline Daniels, or Jack for short. Ever book in the series has an alcohol reference altho that doesn't seem to be a big part of the book itself.
     Murder Games
     Give up the Ghost
     The Great Alone a fantastic (long) audiobook that starts in the 1970s with a family moving to Alaska and how the darkness and solitude affect a family that includes a Vietnam Vet with PTSD.
     Mr Penumbra
     The Night Circus - I know it's gotten rave review but for me this longish book was just meh. I suppose this might be because it was about magic and fantasy but it did fit in with all the circus books of 2018.
   
IN PROGRESS
     On my stereo - A Gathering of Secrets
     on my iPhone - All the Missing Girls

And now it's your turn. What have you read recently? Feel free to share novels, magazines, quilt patterns or cereal boxes - everything is game.



3 comments:

Barbara said...

I think I might have The Great Alone on my wish list. Sounds intriguing. I spent most of December listening to short free books I’ve collected from Audible over the years. A couple of Dickens books, which were no easier to listen to than they were to read when I was in high school, but the narration was marvelous. I’m nearly finished with a Pat Conroy book (among my favorite authors) called The Lords of Discipline. Also read his South of Broad book recently. Excellent narration of both. I think it might be the same narrator.

MissPat said...

Okay, I've got to ask what 1000+ page books did you read last year? I'm trying to get in the habit of using Goodreads to track my reading. And I've got ti figure out how to download library system audiobooks to my phone and/or kindle and/or Chromebook. I'd probably double my "reading" if I could get back to listening to som of my books.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

That's quite a bit of reading/listening for one month! I don't know any of them, though. I wish I could get into audiobooks, but I just don't enjoy them as much as actually reading.