Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Quilt Lab clean up post #3

Project background: I'm spending the month of March cleaning up my quilt lab and blogging about all my hexie UFOs along the way...

--------------
And we continue today with the curio cabinet - home to most of my hexie UFOs.

This is my hexie puzzle project. The only fabric I purchased was the cream for the background. Everything else is scraps. Some were mine and some were from friends. Some were fussy cut and some were not. 

Nothing exciting in this box - just cream hexies...

Unfortunately I am at a serious standstill on this project. I had intended to make a circular quilt to put over the top of my great aunts small pedestal table so that the pretty feet would still show. I was having trouble getting a round shape so I was going to make it into an oval. You can see 2 opposite corners (top right/bottom left) are not the full star and that was where I had started to round it off. I became thoroughly frustrated and set it aside for something easier and here is still sits, waiting for inspiration. Ughghgh.

Hard to tell from the photo but this is probably arm's width wide.
 I just needs a new purpose so I can continue working on it.

This next box is a someday project using the Ferris Wheel pattern, shown below. I've spent so much time trying to arrange the chosen fabrics to fit the 3 shapes in this pattern that I've been thinking for the past 3 days that maybe the fabrics should just be put back into general circulation and some day the "right" fabrics will pop up in front of me and then I can start the project. I think when I get home tonight I'll be emptying this box and finding something else to put in it!!

I think this selection started with the 2 feathery FQs at the top right.
 I LIKE the fabrics, I just can't make them fit in to the 3 shapes of this pattern. 
This is called Ferris Wheel - it's just 1.5" hexies, squares and equilateral triangles.
I've seen lots of fabric placement ideas online but none of them really grab me.
Some day, I'll find the 'one' and get this project started.

This kit was purchased with several Christmas gift certificates an unspecified number of years ago. When it grows up it will be a tree skirt. I mean every hexie-ologist should have at least one hexie tree skirt, right??!!

This is the left over fabric and papers after basting all the diamonds.
I would really like to put them back in the stash to clear a box but I'm afraid
if there are extra papers that maybe I can't count...

Here you can see the box that has been in the curio,
the basket of basted diamonds that sits on my cutting table
(don't ask about the panic when those diamonds were not where I thought they were)
and the pieces that are already stitched together.

This pattern needs to have some thought put into placement so the fabric usage is balanced.
At some point I decided it had to be a stay at home project for that reason but
I'm finding that I don't work on it at home so I'll have to come up with another plan.


Whooahhhh - moved the basted diamonds into an empty box, instead of the basket = more
counter top space. But now if I empty the bigger ferris wheel box I can combine these into the
one box, making room for 2 projects.

And lastly for today is this table runner that is going to be made out of Cherrywood hand dyes. I'm flinching cuz I bought this FQ bundle in Houston in 2011. The fabrics are so soft, I just want to pet them instead of stitch them. Check this link for the rainbow runner that I am going to formulate with these hexies.


Check back tomorrow for more photos from the curio cabinet...


6 comments:

Frances Meredith said...

This is the most facinating curio cabinet - is there more?

Janet O. said...

Wow, Sarah, I had NO idea the scope of your hidden hexie projects. I don't know if I should be apologizing for putting you through this, but I feel a strange fascination to see what comes forth next!
BTW, those Cherrywood fabrics have such depth--gorgeous!!

Ruth said...

Go forth and organize. You do have some very pretty projects.

Chantal said...

You are doing a great job of organizing the curio. Lovely projects.

margaret said...

so many projects on the go we all tend to start too many projects. Maybe the ones you have really lost heart with should be abandoned as if you are not enjoying doing them it becomes such chore rather than a pleasure. Loving the dyed fabrics

Jo said...

I love the Ferris wheel block. I have always wanted to make this quilt.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/571323902699981140/
It's very similar but I don't think as small as your pieces...
Have you started the WESTALEE ruler quilting yet...