Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Bibliophile Files - 9/11/18

First - a moment of silence on this 17th anniversary of 9/11....

Hello and welcome to another edition of The Bibliophile Files, my monthly book report. As always, my goal is to finish 90 books for the year. And also, as always, I'm behind but I recently got my morning walk mojo back thanks to the fall-like weather and job#2 is in full swing so I should make some headway soon.


FINISHED
     A Stranger's Game - It turns out I have already read this book but didn't realize it until I was into disc #2. At that point I wanted to know the ending (again!). Now I need to look up the rest of the series.
     Borderline - from my favorite Nevada Barr series
     A Long Walk to Water - a true story with a small connection to Rochester, NY (50 miles from me). I had no idea of the connection when I started the book but it did throw an interesting twist into the book.
     The Orphan's Tale - a sad little tale set during WWII. I enjoyed learning about traveling circuses of the time and watching the girls friendship unfold.
     The Home for Unwanted Girls - I think someone was cutting onions when I was finishing this book...just saying. Based on true events, it begins in the 50s when a newborn is taken from the unwed young mother and tossed into the Canadian orphan system, later turned into a psychiatric system for financial reasons. The mother tries to rebuild her life and find her child for the next 20 years while the child tries to survive the system.
     Full Disclosure - I wish this was part of a series, I wanted to learn more about the characters and their jobs. I really appreciated the lengths Paul went to to learn about and woo Ann.
     The Shore - This book encompassed 150 years of women's history on The Shore - the time changes were sometimes a bit hard to follow if you weren't paying 100% attention to the book (and I don't pay 100% attention to audiobooks as I am multitasking). Unfortunately, some of the CDs were out of order and I didn't realize it until I had already listened to the next 2 CDs. I knew it felt like I had missed something but once I listened to that CD I still didn't learn the missing info. The stories were good but there were just too many stories.

IN PROGRESS
     Monstrous Beauty - I paused reading this because it just wasn't grabbing my attention. In fact I can't even remember what happened so far...not sure I'll finish it.
     Extraordinary Means - I paused reading this book to finish some books with library deadlines. I will definitly finish this one.
     The Nightingale - this library audiobook has 17 files. Lets just say I did not get it finished before I had to return the book and wait my turn to check it out again. Arghghgh. This is a WWI story that takes place in France where a German soldier is billeted in an anti-Nazi's house. I like this quote from Goodreads: In love we find out who we want to be. In war we find out who we are.

And now it's your turn. What have you read lately? Remember, just about anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box. Feel free to join the linky or leave a recommendation in the comments.




2 comments:

Barbara said...

Just yesterday, I started the audio version of Bob Woodward’s book, “Fear.” In the sewing room, I’m nearly finished with “Eat the Apple.” On my Kindle device, “It’s Even Worse than you Think.” Just finished “Saturday Night Widows,” about a group of widows who form their own support group and friendship group, each having lost a husband. It was a good story of women remaking themselves, but I didn’t enjoy the author’s rather self-serving way of writing it. Not sure what I’ll add when I finish “Eat the Apple,” but something. Also since my last book report, I read “Education,” which was very good.

Denise :) said...

I finished up a couple in the last month. The Astronaut Wive's Club was a great non-fiction read. I mean really great. Funnily enough, I was just reading Barbara's comment about Saturday Night Widows and I would say it's strikingly similar in the undercurrent of the theme. Only it wasn't self-serving, so it gets another star. LOL! I also re-read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society again, because I wanted to watch the movie (which is on Netflix and has a terrific number of Downton Abbey cast members in it) but wanted to re-read it before I watched it. Both were excellent, but the book has far more depth and development to it -- no surprise there. I'm reading a new Karen Kingsbury on my kindle right now, but I don't remember the title. Of course, there's always the selection (especially this time of year) of cookbooks and Instant Pot cooking. :)