Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

The Bibliophile Files - 12/3/19

First I'm pleased to say that I finished my first challenge of the year on 11/22/19 by reading 74 books where one word in the title is also one of the words that spell the months of the year.

The next challenge to complete is to finish a total of 90 books for the year and I have just 6 books to go. Woohoo! Goodreads claims I am actually 2 books ahead of scheduled, which is hard to believe after a year of being several books behind schedule every month.


FINISHED
      Private Down Under - this is a new to me series that open private detective offices in various cities around the world - a fun way to learn about different countries
      Notes from a Young Black Chef - I enjoyed the book other than the constant "woe is me" stories. To learn about someone learning to be a chef and try to run a business and then look up videos of the chef online was educational for me as someone who has done catering and just plain likes to cook.
      The Golden Day - eh.. just eh. Sorry.
      Spill - I'm generally not for sound effects in my audiobooks but this was different. This was a LA Theater recording and I just happened to be in my car when the oil rig exploded in surround sound. I white knuckled the rest of my drive home that night...
      Erotic Stories for Punjabi Women - this book is hilarious but I don't recommend listening to it in public for obvious reasons.
      Firefly Lane - A memoir of 2 girls who grow into women as friends but who don't always treat each other fairly. I can't wait to read the next book.
      Murder in the Reading Room - A good book, a little hoitey toitey, but the murder referred to in the title was such a small part of the book, it was misleading.
      Mean Streak - a fantastic book that I had not expected the twisted ending.
      Chocolate Fever - Yipp, a quick kids book to up my numbers. I admit it but I had fun doing it too. It was encouraging to know I'm not the world's worst chocoholic.
      The Wright 3 - another kids book. They referred to some kids toy a lot. They were apparently 3D and had letters on them to build words or shapes. It was a little distracting to the rest of the story, especially since I had never heard of the toy before
      Escape from Mr Lemoncello's Library - a fun educational book about libraries and there are several more in the series!

IN PROGRESS
     on my iPhone - Beartown
     on my home stereo - Lousiana's Way Home

I've got another challenge lined up for the new year... I call it Spell that Place. It's a very long name of a "farm" in South Africa so I'll be looking for books that have a word in their title that starts with any of those 40some letters. If anyone wants to play along I am happy to share my Place.

Let us know below what you've been reading! Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box.


4 comments:

Denise :) said...

I'm [still] working in re-reads of the Little House series (almost finished), The Hobbit, and the Mitford series. I'm midway through The Characters of Christmas, which is really good. I've got through Where Crawdads Sing and Educated on audio, both of which were really good. I didn't finish the audio of Wild, because I didn't like the narrator. I'm listening to Liturgy of the Ordinary on iTunes. And on my Kindle I finished up Life in Community and The Year of Cozy, which was a fun read through...125 seasonally appropriate crafts and recipes through the year. Whew! We both had pretty productive months! Well done on reaching the goal!!! :)

ButterZ said...

Can you explain your first challenge. I am a bit confused about the titles.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great reading for a month! Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and Firefly Lane are on my to read list, I haven't heard of any of the others. I'm still reading Freddy Mercury - A Life in His Own Words and Little Women, they are both taking me ages to get through!

MissPat said...

I read The Christmas Boutique, the latest Elm Street Quilts by Jennifer Chiavernini and got part way through American Eden (NF) which I couldn't renew because it had a hold. I've reached my Goodreads goal of 30 books which is admittedly way below your impressive endeavor. Not sure how much to up next year's goal. Probably depends on whether I finally figure out how to download the library audio books to my Chromebook.
Pat