Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, February 04, 2020

The Bibliophile Files - 2/4/20

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I forgot to do a book report back in January. I'm happy to report that I surpassed my 2019 reading goal by reading 4 extra books for a total of 94!! Unfortunately I had already tossed the sticky note with my December book list on it and I'm just too darn lazy to figure it out from my Goodreads account. #sorrynotsorry.

This year I have again set a goal of 90 books by the end of the year. To help me accomplish that, I have 2 subgoals that help me pick books. Not that I don't have an excellent library system to pick books from but sometimes it's just nice to have a nudge in one direction or the other.

My first goal is what I'm calling "Spell that Place." I stole the idea from a website but the gist is that I have this place in South Africa that has 44 letters in it's name. I am going to read books where one of the words in the title starts with one of those letters. For instance, below, The One Man is being used as an O and The Never Game is an N. I am happy to create a separate tab with the place name spelled out and my chosen books if anyone is interested.

My other goal is based on a list my librarian/friend sent me with just one theme a month. January was to have a color in the title (book chosen but not finished yet) and February is a book that's also a movie.

FINISHED
     The One Man
     The Never Game - A good story but the title didn't seem to have anything to do with the game being played by the characters. I'm sorry but a bum title can throw off my enjoyment of a book as I am trying to figure out a title the whole time.
     Educated - once a year a social group I belong to reads a book together. I'm expecting this to be a hot discussion as there were many things in this memoir that angered me.
     The Guardians - about a group of innocence lawyers working cases to free men on death row
     The Escape Artist
     Dust - Once again, a good (but snarky) book in this series but I have no idea where the title came from.

IN PROGRESS
     on my iPhone - Liar Liar
     on my home stereo - The Fifth Witness

So - what have you read lately? Don't forget almost anything counts - novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box. Have you set any reading goals? Do you follow any challenges?


3 comments:

Vireya said...

Your group discussion of Educated could be interesting! There are a lot of strong opinions out there about it. I shall have to try to track down a copy and read it myself.

Denise :) said...

I bet Educated does make for a lively discussion. That was a "WOW" of a book.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'd love to see that 44 letter place spelt out :)

Nothing I read in your list this month. Educated is on my to-read list, but nowhere near the top. Personally, I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities (I really enjoy Dicken's writing, but it just takes me a lot longer than contemporary novels) and 'The Henchmen's Book Club', which is pretty fun!