Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday Weather Report #145 - 2/27/20

Hello! Here I am, a day late and a dollar short! I have yet to figure out why, but I have been off a day all week. So much so that it wasn't until almost noon yesterday that it dawned on me that it was a Wednesday and I needed to do a weather report when my hexies were at home. And yet, life moves on...

Today's big weather news is that we are in a Blizzard Warning through tomorrow afternoon, with snow continuing through Saturday. For anyone who is unsure, a blizzard is defined as a severe snowstorm with sustained 35+ mph winds for a minimum of 3 hours. It's been blowing on and off all day so I don't know if we met the 3 hour criteria. Of course, my office is in a valley so I'm often oblivious to weather conditions outside of my immediate block. I can tell you, no question tho, that the drive to work this morning was pretty sketchy. Eek!

February 19 - 25, 2020
27 - 20 - 29 - 38 - 50 - 52 - 35 F

I've made some progress on my Underground Rail Road blocks!


The last log is finally attached which means I'm back to working on my Carpenter's Wheel:


This block has been the bane of my existence with 100 pieces total. At first I thought it was the smallness of the pieces that bothered me but I've now decided it was just the slowness of putting the small pieces together. Now that I can see the end of the block it's coming together much, much faster.

The picture shows the block 3/4 done but I am happy to say that as of today's lunch hour, I now have the final quarter also 3/4 done. Woot! I feel confident that this block will be finished by the end of the month. LOL.

With just 2 blocks left I am not sure if I want to tackle the 16-piece block (with curves), or the block that I don't seem to have enough papers for in my kit.


I've also finished another dozen of these little beauties. I've started playing with the design in EQ7 but I haven't been able to pick a design yet. I wanted to make the quilt a touch bigger so I bought a panel that consisted of 6 mini-panels. I was trying to design a layout to use 3 to 5 of the mini-panels but none of them are grabbing me from the computer screen. I have a feeling I will have to start putting some shoofly blocks and green squares together so I can lay it out on the design floor to see how it looks IRL.

I also participated in an 8 week Irish Chain sew-a-long. This week is the last clue which means we are putting the blocks together into a quilt top. First I need to trim up some of the blocks and second I need to decide if I want the quilt a touch bigger to better fit my bed. Only then can I put them all together.

My brain is hurting from all these decisions...




4 comments:

Julierose said...

WOW that is a lot of decisions--here you are in a blizzard and we haven't had any appreciable snow yet this whole winter...
Windy though 35-40 mph with 20 sustained...
You have a lot of projects going on...all lovely...are the alternate green blocks going to be solids or prints? I love that block...
hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lots of projects to keep the brain and hands rolling. We had blizzard conditions all afternoon and so happy I cancelled our afternoon sewing group that comes in from the city - driving would have been awful. Just howling now, but I have a feeling there will be snow to shovel in the morning.

Janet O. said...

Sarah, I'm concerned--are you running a fever or having palpitations? Something must be going on for you to be doing as much machine sewing as I see here. ;)
Love that batik log cabin block, and the Carpenter's WHeel is striking!
Cute, cute little churn dash blocks. Whatever you do with them will be fun, I'm sure. How can you go wrong when you combine "little" and "churn dash"?

Leonore Winterer said...

You have a lot going on right now, and it all looks so pretty! Seems like you're making up big time for all the time spent exclusively on Mr Serious.