Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, May 05, 2020

The Bibliophile Files - 5/5/20

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Welcome to my monthly book report!!

One would think that working from home some days (meaning less commute time, etc) and no evening meetings would mean that I am getting more reading done. Sadly, this is not the case. I seem to be more content to just work (sewing, cleaning or work work) amongst the house noises than I ever have before. It's strange since before lock down I always had to have a radio or audiobook playing.

FINISHED
     The Word is Murder - an author is to shadow a police investigator to write a book. They both solve the murder but in different ways.
     Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers - I'm not very "up" on famous artists so Vincent's life story was sad but interesting. I had no idea that he was still relatively unknown when he took his own life and it was really his sister in law who pushed his artwork into what we know it is today.
     The Name of the Star - I'll give this book a thumbs up for the super-surprise twist 2/3 through but it's not enough to read the sequel.
     Hillbilly Elegy - I'll be honest - I started this book a year ago and didn't care for it enough to get past the first half hour of the audiobook. I needed an "E" book for a challenge and this was still on my phone so I gave it another whirl. It was more tolerable this year, maybe because I have read some other similar books in the past year. The book still came across as a whiny, whoa as me book that could have taken place anywhere in the country, not just to Kentucky hilbillies, but it was interesting to hear about his rise from poverty to lawyer.
     This is Where I leave You - not my usual genre but I needed "a book made into a movie" for a challenge and this turned out to be pretty good.

IN PROGRESS   
     on my iPhone - Force of Nature
     on my home stereo - Wolf Pack

And now it's your turn - what have you been reading lately? Anything counts - novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box.


3 comments:

MissPat said...

Nothing to write home about, as they say. Actually, I'm not reading much at all (I'm way behind in my Goodreads challenge) and I haven't yet figured out how to download audiobooks from the library. Which isn't to say I'm not reading, since I spend way too much time on my computer reading quilt blogs and news (more opinion than news) sites. Really bad behavior for a retired librarian.
Pat

Angie said...

Hi Sarah! First time posting, but have been lurking for over a year. Love the weather posts and would like to make a quilt like that someday. Also, my son and I love cats, so seeing Zorro each week is charming. Anyway, to the current reads question...I listen to quite a few audiobooks and read less than I used to, but have been trying to read as an escape from this virus issue. I just finished "The Address Book" by Deidre Mask, rather interesting history of race and class addressing of our homes. Then, since I love historical fiction and don't have a Starz account, I've been reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I also just recently finished "Tuesdays with Morrie" and found out that it was required reading for my son this quarter for one of his university social work classes. Lastly, I finished in April a book called "The Glass Kitchen" by Linda Francis Lee about a lady who has a unique ability to know what to cook or bake before she meets someone who needs just what she has made. Interesting storyline. Hope you have a great weekend!

Leonore Winterer said...

Somehow, I'm not getting too much reading done, either. I'm even super behind on blog reading and things like that! I'm trying to do better, but it's a struggle. Not that I don't want to read, I just never seem to find the time!