Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Friday, July 17, 2020

Feline Friday and Birthday Cake - 7/17/20

It's a big day here at Casa Grande!!


 Not only did I finally get rid of that toe jam but it's also just 6 months until Momma has one of those "zero" birthdays, one that rhymes with nifty. Momma is hoping you can help her celebrate by making a block or two to help her make a birthday quilt!! She also hopes you will sign your Name/City/Sate/Country in the middle of the cake.


Momma knows the blocks are kinda small but they are just so darn cute. Truth be told she tried to make the block bigger for all y'all but the cutting sizes made for lots of naughty words so she stuck with the cute size. You're welcome.

Please know that Momma got the idea from Temecula Quilt Company who got the idea from an antique quilt.

Momma says you will need the following fabrics:

  • Light (1.25" x 17" strip) - please use any White on White (WOW) fabric. You may wish to use a different or plain white for the center so that you can sign your name more easily.
  • Dark (1.25" x 13" strip) - any fabric will do as this will be a scrappy quilt but if you must know - Momma's favorite color is purple and she really loves Grunge, batiks, Tula and hexies. But really, anything goes!

From the WOW strip cut:
(2) 7/8" squares
(2) 2" rectangles
(2) 1.75" rectangles
(2) 1.25" rectangles
(2) 1" rectangles and (1) 2.25" rectangle

From the dark strip cut:
(1) 1.25" rectangle
(1) 1.75" rectangle
(1) 2.75" rectangle
(2) 1" rectangles
(1) 4.25" rectangle

Use the tiny WOW squares to snowball the top of the cake.
I found I had to trim the block to 1.25" again after snowballing.

 

Assemble each row, pressing the snowball towards
the white,
 but all other rows towards the dark.

The block should be 4.25" unfinished.

Momma will share more blocks as the nifty day gets closer. She plans to make some extras for her non-quilting family & friends to sign. She's already got 3 cakes made and hasn't shared a one! Please let her know if you have questions.

Blocks can be sent to Sarah's Birthday Cakes, PO Box 26, Castile, NY 14427-0026.

Thank you!!!



PS - Can someone tell me how to attach a pdf? I will email it to anyone who asks...




7 comments:

Janet O. said...

I think Z needs a life coach on personal hygiene. LOL
I will for sure make one of those blocks for you! I made one when Temecula put out their call, so I think I can manage another in between masks. :)

Vireya said...

Good idea planning ahead!

I don't know what is happening with international postage at the moment, but I'll do my best to get a cake to you some time in the next 6 months.

MissPat said...

Oh, goodie, homework. I need some motivation, but it will have to wait until the heat moves on. Now to find the perfect cake fabric.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I've never done any quilting in my life, and that looks awfully complicated, but I'm willing to give it a try :D Let's see what I have in stash...

Denise :) said...

You can definitely count on one from me!! I'm glad you decided to do the signature!! :)

ButterZ said...

I'd love to send one to you Sarah. Could you please show a photo of the back of the block so we can see which direction to iron the seams,
. I didn't quite follow.

ButterZ said...

Hi Sarah. Have you received any blocks yet. I have been a bit slack and hope to get mine posted next week.