Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, September 01, 2020

The Bibliophile Files - 9/1/20

Hello and welcome to my monthly reading list. It was a good month with 8 finishes! I've now finished 72% of my goal of 90 books for the year. Woot! And that puts me 5 books ahead of schedule. Double Woot!

Job #2 started last week - on one hand that cuts into my lunch hours and evenings for stitching over the next 2 months but, on the other hand, it does give me some dedicated reading/listening time while I'm in robot mode entering data. I'm hoping for another good reading month!

FINISHED 
     The Lost Man
     Deadfall
     The Silence Between Us  - a good story about deaf culture and young love. I found it educational as learning ASL has been on my bucket list for eons. 
     Fresh Ink - a series of short stories - stories that aren't finished yet. That's what the book jacket says any way. I liked the stories but the book jacket description didn't do them any good or help me relate one story to another. I'm not even sure if they were supposed to be related.
     The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane - Ever read a good book but it doesn't end the way you think it should and that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth? This ain't that book!! Haha. I really enjoyed this book and it ended just the way I thought it should. It was particularly hard to find the next book to read after such a high from this book.
     Little Deaths - Based on a true story. Of course the story was modified to fit into a book but it was also interesting to look up the author's article on what she had to change to please her editors. I wish that had been included as an addendum to the book.
     The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning - I like the concept of death cleaning (culling your own "stuff" before you die and leave it all for the family to do) but the book was a waste of time. I won't even bore you with the details: let's just say it could have been 3 hours culling instead of listening.
     The Bookshop on the Corner - another cute love story.

IN PROGRESS
     Let Me Lie - a great psych thriller (so far!)

And now it's your turn - what are you reading? Anything counts - novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box!


3 comments:

Denise :) said...

I liked The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning! LOL! I thought it was kind of interesting ... especially since I'd never heard of it before. I'm about halfway through TTGoHL. It drew me in fast. The Bookshop on the Corner sounds fun!

MissPat said...

I did finally finish Eleanor Oliphant is just fine and it was okay, but really hard to get into. Just finished Where the crawdads sing. Now reading Murder in the mystery suite by Ellery Adams and notice just came that the ebook for White Privilege is ready to download from the library. I'm thankful the libraries are finally open, but wish we could start placing holds system-wide since I've a long list of titles that AVO doesn't own. Oh, and I'm way behind on my Goodreads goal. Have to spend less time reading the news and quilt blogs and more time on books.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

A couple from my to read list, but nothing I've read yet! I just started Robinson Crusoe last week...that one might take me a while.