Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, May 05, 2021

The Bibliophile Files - 5/4/21


It makes a body feel old when they start a blog post, Chrome is accidentally closed and the post is totally forgotten until after 9pm when there is no way to finish it at home. Me. Yes. I'm feeling old and forgetful. Or maybe I can just blame it on a busy work day. Sure. That sounds good! 

At least I haven't forgotten to read books. I think I had a pretty good month, especially given that some of these books were much longer than my usual. I'm actually ahead of schedule for my annual goal - something I haven't been able to say in many years until after I go camping.

The dotted line indicates when I finished my Spell that Place challenge. In case you are unfamiliar with my challenges: first I pick a place with a long name (This year I chose Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta, which is a train station in India) from this website list and then I read (28) books where the first letter of a book title word corresponds with a letter in the place name. It's much easier to do than to explain. 


FINISHED
     The Want-Ad Killer - A true crime novel. Gruesome and interesting at the same time but I really expected more about the want-ad aspect given it's in the title. It wasn't his main method of kidnapping women but he eventually was caught/convicted and is still in prison (if we believe Wiki) at the age of 93.
     Trace of Evil - oh look another book with Evil in the title. LOL. Finishing my annual challenge always brings out the weird titles at the end when I need to find 8 books that are A or E books. 
     The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes -- prequal to the Hungar Games series - it explains a lot!
     Just Watch Me - written by the same author who wrote the Dexter TV series. This is book #1 in the series and I almost immediately read the second book. I'm really hoping there will be a third book this year.
     Through the Evil Days - great book from a great series. The book takes place from 2 perspectives, really 2 ends, of the same investigation.
------
     Fool Me Twice - this is book #2 to Just Watch Me.
     The Brontë Plot - a leftover from last year's SYNC season. It's definitely a YA book with young love and a predictable ending but a nice, easy read.
     Come On In - 15 short stories on immigration - the first book from the new SYNC season. It was a nice reminder that immigration isn't always sneaking across a dessert or ocean to get into another country.

IN PROGRESS
     The Whistler

And now it's your turn? What are you reading? What should I read?
Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box!


3 comments:

Denise :) said...

I loved The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes! I wasn't sure at first if I'd enjoy it, but it was a great prequel! I just finished The Light Through the Leaves and it was terrific. It was on Kindle Unlimited. A little melancholic, and full of sad things, but also overcoming. On Kindle Unlimited it came with the audio version, and I found I could read/listen back and forth seamlessly, which I really enjoyed!! :)

MissPat said...

I missed last month's report so this covers March and April.
Notorious RBG
Keeper of lost thing
Forgotten garden
Fried green tomatoes at the Whistlestop cafe
What happens in Paradise
No stopping us now Lager Queen of Minnesota

Currently reading
Little fires everywhere
Best of me (slow going, I guess David Sedaris is not my thing)

Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I need to get The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, I'm really looking forward to that one! Currently, I am readying Rebecca, never read it before but I'm really enjoying it!