Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Civil War Wednesday

As most of you hopefully know, this year is the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War here in the USA.

About a month ago I found http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/ by Barbara Brackman. Each Saturday of this anniversary year a new blog post will be added with a quilt block and Civil War history. Directions for the 8" finished blocks are included and womens' diaries or historical accounts are quoted to explain the name for the block or why it's included as a Civil War block. There are lots of references if you want to learn more.

I did have a great-great-grandfather who was saved by his canteen in Gettysburg. Unfortunately, another relative later threw out the "rusty thing" from their attic, thinking it had no historical value. Arghghghgh! There is an annual family reunion of this regiment and they are planning to go to Gettysburg next year for the re-dedication of their monument. Hopefully I can go as I haven't been to Gettysburg since I was a kid.

Back to the quilt...I was already behind when I found the blog but then I wasn't sure what fabric to use. Should I use Civil War repros (which I didn't own)? Or something I already had? I immediatley thought of a FQ bundle I had but on inpsection, it just didn't "feel" right for these blocks. Last weekend the LQS had a sale on Civil War fabrics so I bought some FQs to get me started. Sorry, but I forgot to photograh the stack of pretty fabrics this morning...maybe when I post my progress next week. I'll be using neutrals that I already own, even tho they aren't Civil War fabrics in the least.


Anyways, last night I completed block #1 Catch me if you can. Only 13 more blocks to go to get caught up! Luckily they are relatively small and only take a few hours to decide on fabric and make them.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I have two of these blocks made. I hope to get caught up too, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.