Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, May 02, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 5/2/11

Every spring the Cordelia A Greene Library holds a tea party. Tea is served, the girls get to do crafts and there is a "photo booth" to document the day. Many families have been coming for generations and the girls always bring their American Girl dolls. Everyone who attends the tea wins a door prize which includes jewelry or doll dresses made by one of the sponsoring families. The top prize is a new American Girl Doll.

Last year I was asked to make a doll quilt to donate and I had a great time making this little blue and green number. I found out after the tea that the adults were fighting over it - when I made the quilt I had no idea that adults could win prizes and hadn't included a hanging sleeve.

This year I was again asked to make a quilt and told that Kanani was the girl of the year and would be the party theme. I spent some time trying to think of a Hawiian theme to use and then all the sudden I had just 11 days to make it and I would be gone 4 of those days. Ooops!

Batiks are tropical, right? I thought that would be the most fun to play with so I cut out blades for a dresden plate. I looked for my brightest batiks but didn't get too matchy-matchy.

The plate was then machine appliqued to a solid black background and backed with a very bright batik.

As I was quilting, the local quality control officer stopped in for an inspection...I think it passed but he did refuse the bribe I put out for him...




No comments: