Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, October 29, 2018

It was a cold, rainy, foggy weekend...

I had "plans" for the weekend - mostly revolving around household chores, baking and bazaar preparations. It turned out to be all about the fire department and Mr Serious...

--For just about any controlled burn we throw in some training exercises first. 
--The house was prepped by the farmer by removing anything that possibly had asbestos (flooring, siding, roofing) and anything else that could be dangerous for training purposes.
--We had about 100 fire wo/men and maybe 15 trucks from 7 departments
--Castile has yellow trucks - research shows they are more visible than the traditional red trucks.

About 20 minutes after we finally started the burn

Friday night, after getting the groceries, I got one last take out meal (salmon burger with dill sauce and fried green beans) from the Charcoal Corral before they closed for the season. Then I spent the evening working on Mr Serious. I was tired so I went to bed a little early which is good cuz the 0130 rescue call took longer than normal and it always takes me a while to get back to sleep. There was another call at 0700 but since we were going to do a controlled burn at 0730, the chief asked another department to cover the call. Sadly there is still paperwork to be done whether we go or not.

11:39
11:40
11:41

For the controlled burn, I was supposed to be doing "firefighter rehab" for any firefighter who wore an air tank inside the burning house or anyone not feeling well. Despite their instructions, not a single firefighter came over for rehab. Thankfully I brought hexies to work on or it would have been an excruciatingly long 5 hours. I worked on my kaleidoscope doll quilt that I am trying to finish for our Fall 2018 UFO challenge at hexie club. I made some good progress but neglected to take any photos.

I then went on a FART to a not-so-LQS that I just found out has a decent Grunge collection to look for the perfect yellow for Mr Serious. I found a better brown and more neutrals to add to the mix but still not the right yellow. Maybe even with their 119 colors they still won't have the right yellow?

Sunday came up rainy and cold yet again. Even Z has been upset with the weather. I went to my nephew's hockey game in the morning and then crashed on the couch making exceptional progress on Mr Serious. The row that I started today will end in the top left corner. Woohoo!! Just 16 tiny little hexies until I hit that corner!!

The evening was topped off with a vehicle fire in one of the local heifer barns. We had 3 men for rehab this time and I made some new (moo?!) calf friends.  Luckily no firemen or cows were harmed but the feed truck is toast. Had the fire been worse a very large barn full of a lot of heifers could have been lost.



We will be Falling Back soon - don't forget to change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms!!


5 comments:

Pamela said...

Great progress on Mr. Serious and interesting fire photos! Fire really eats things up fast.

Denise :) said...

Burn, baby, burn...disco inferno! Glad the heifers were okay. Good progress on your Mr. Serious! Glad you got to wear the Galactic Scarf this weekend! How did the hockey game go?! :)

Vireya said...

So this isn't an exercise in putting out the fire, I guess?

Julierose said...

Gosh I LOVE how Mr. serious is coming along--this will be so lovely...hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

You have had a rather eventful weekend.
How comforting to know that Mr. Serious accompanies you most everywhere you go. :)