Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, October 02, 2018

The Bibliophile Files - 10/2/18

Hello and Welcome to another of my monthly book lists. It's a short one this time given that last month's report was a week late. Well that and I have spent lots of time in front of the DVD player so that I could work on Mr Serious. I'm now watching The Handmaids Tale ... scary and riveting at the same time.

FINISHED
     The Book of Speculation - Hmmm...another circus book. I'm sensing a theme this summer. This is 2 family stories (1700s and present) woven together over time. Sadly the ending was a tad bit of a let down.
     Stiff: The Curious Live of Human Cadavers Yeah, it sounds morbid but the author adds a lot of levity and you'll be surprised what cadavers (or parts thereof) are used for.
     The Gary Ghost - yikes I nearly forgot I finished this book while on vacation. I enjoy the series but the book didn't draw me in like normal. Maybe it was driving in new territory and not paying enough attention? I'm not sure.
     Never Never - WhooHoo - a new Patterson series that takes place in Australia. The audiobook reader had the perfect accent.
     The Snow Child - A story in Alaska based on a Russian Fairy Tale. They told us what happened at the end of the fairy tale but I had expected a different ending to the book.


IN PROGRESS
     The Astronaut Wives Club - I know it was the time and it was all about perceptions of the new astro-program but NASA seemed pretty bully-ish with all of their demands of these women. Luckily they bonded to support each other.
     The Nightingale - this was put on hold some weeks ago when my turn at the library e-book ran out. I just got it back so it's time to buckle down and finish it.

And now it's your turn to share what you've been reading. Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box...





1 comment:

Barbara said...

I’ve read Stiff. That book is fascinating. Another really good Mary Roach book is “Bonk,” about human sexuality. Fascinating as always and also hilarious. I love her books. I’ve moved on from my usual list of “uplifting” stories. Reading Astoria about the founding of the Oregon town named for John Jacob Astor. Just finished Bob Woodward’s book, and just starting The Men Who United America. I’m told it’s good.