Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, November 03, 2020

The Bibliophile Files - 11/3/20

 It was another good month of reading here at Casa Grande.

I'm now 9 books ahead of schedule for my annual reading goal and should probably finish my current book tonight. Well, I hope I finish it as I'm dying to know who dunnit and why. 


FINISHED
     Firestorm - I found this old book while looking for another book with a similar title. I wasn't keen on the unexpected paranormal angles but as the daughter and sister of firemen I enjoyed the arson investigator part of the story even if it was a little thin.
     Something in the Water - When the book description says their choice (about what's in the water) will trigger a devastating chain of events, it's never a good thing. There were plenty of "well duh" moments and twists. Good but not a favorite.
     The Operator - watch out for this nosy operators, they don't let rumors die - especially when it is about their own family.
     Weather - meh. Keep looking - this isn't the book for you.
     The 17th Suspect - another good book in this series.
     The Sacrament - I enjoyed another Icelandic book by this author but the mixed up timelines could be a little confusing if you didn't pay enough attention. The constant notes on the nun not being up to date with technology were superfluous to the story.
     I let You Go - Oh hello!? A happy little story bookended with a terrible story which has ... wait for it... a twist! LOL. 
     I Can Only Imagine - I ordered the (short) book and the DVD from the library at the same time. I'm so glad I read the book first as a lot of the details were left out of the movie to fit the typical movie length. The book has more of a religious undertone than the movie but it's not preachy or pushed down your throat - it's just the story of his life and how religion helped him cope with an abusive dad.
     The Hunting Party - the story of these affluent, snobby, old-time friends and one of them being murdered, is told out of order, leaving the middle until the end. I think the epilogue was superfluous but I really liked the book as a whole.

IN PROGRESS
     After Anna - the story is not told chronologically and each chapter is from a different character's viewpoint. It's a fantastic way to tell a story that would probably be boring if told in the proper order - I'll find out when I get it finished.

And now it's your turn to share - what have you read recently? Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box!



3 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh thanks for the reviews--
I will try the 17th Suswpect--
I am reading "Killing By Numbers" (Bridget Hart Book 2) by M s Morris
an Oxford Murder Mystery pretty good...
Hugs and stay safe Julierose

MissPat said...

I read the latest Tea Shop Mystery, the Lavender Blue Murder and think I'm about done with this series. The chase scene at the end was totally unbelievable. Just finished Plain Vanilla Murder which was more satisfying, but the constant references to the pregnant police chief having to pee were annoying. I need to find some new mystery writers.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

Great list of books - I don't know any of them but some sound really fun!