Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Violet & the Prince

Yesterday's violet was such a hit, I thought I would share another today.


This violet lives at my work desk and could be my favorite color/pattern. It had a bit of a rough patch this summer, hence the yellow leaves on the outside but I'll get them trimmed once the flowers fade. This one needs repotting as it has a big sucker plant on the side but, while I can make them bloom like gang busters, my violets always struggle after I repot them. It's quite frustrating so I would love to hear any hints you have.

I have 2 Christmas Cacti in blossom if anyone wants to see those. They really should be called Halloween/Christmas/Valentines Cacti as they blossom 2 to 3 times a year.

I also wanted to share Zorro's Halloween costume for this year. It's hard to see but the crown has 3 large diamonds that sparkle in the light and the cape is purple velvet. In my dreams, I know.

Z tolerates the crown as long as it's over one ear instead of between his ears. I always knew he was a little off kilter. He also doesn't mind the cape as it merely velcros around his neck and he enjoys (?) collars but the cape is long enough to slide around to his chest. Mom suggested velcro in his fur to attach to the velvet but I don't think it would go over well. The costume clearly needs some adjustments. He's worn it a couple times as practice for tonight but he has never held still long enough for a decent photo. Sorry.


Sadly, Halloween is Z's least favorite day of the entire year. It's not due to any costume drama but because it's the only day/night out of 365 that I absolutely will not allow him outside. Free roaming (partly) black cats and Halloween night shenanigans are not a good combination. I'm sure I'll be forgiven eventually...but it could take a while.

Happy Halloween from Z and Me!



7 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh that cape and crown are too funny--he actually lets you dress him up? What a good kitty...Hugs, Julierose

Denise :) said...

I can't wait to see Z all tricked out for treats! Your violet is gorgeous!!! I used to have them when we lived in a stix & bricks home. I may have to try my hand at it again! Have you played with the Google site today??!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've enjoyed your pretty African Violets. Mine are due a re-potting as well - one is a perpetual baby producer. I always use the special AV potting soil and add a finely crushed eggshell. My Grandma V taught me that. No ticksters or treaters up on our hill. Our power has been out twice so far tonight and we are on flood alert.

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous violet, Sarah! I'm afraid mine have been neglected as my orchid collection grows. I have 4 blooming right now, but nothing like this!
I have had success with most of my repotting. Do you keep the whole thing in a plastic bag for a while after repotting? Can't recall where I read that, but it is something I do and seems to help while the plant reestablishes itself.
I would love to see your Christmas cacti. I seem to have inherited my MIL's collection (4) and I don't have the greatest place for them--the orchids (17 of them) have taken up the prime plant real estate (who am I kidding--I have over 40 houseplants right now and they are fighting for position and attention). Three of the four made a feeble attempt to bloom last Christmas, but nothing to write home about.
I dearly hope you get a good photo of Z in his costume!

Vireya said...

That is a stunning flower! I've never seen one like that, but then I am an absolute beginner at African violets. I've never had them until this year, and none have flowered for me yet.

MissPat said...

Lovely color on the violet and the cape would certainly be a lovely color on Z. I agree with Janet about enclosing the repotted violet in a bag. It maintains humidity until the roots develop especially on babies that are separated from Momma. To rebloom they need bright light but not direct sun which causes the bleaching leaves you have on your office plant.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I do hope to see a picture of Z in that costume eventually!