Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, June 01, 2021

The Bibliophile Files - 6/1/21

Welcome to my monthly reading list. It was an exceptional month of reading, only to be rivaled by most summer camping trips. Can you believe I am already 10 books ahead of schedule for the year? Woot!! Most of the (audio) reading takes place during my daily walks. I had a little set back over the weekend thanks to the rain but I'm back on track and hoping to have another successful month in June.


FINISHED
     The Whistler - a mysterious whistle blower files a misconduct charge against a judge and The Florida Board of Judicial Review must determine if the judge is actually involved with the mafia and their monetary scams. 
     The Turn of the Key - A little bit psycho-thriller, a little bit Big Brother and a little bit family drama.
     The Last Juror - The new/young owner revives the failing small town newspaper after writing many articles about the 1970 murder trial of a young white man who raped and murdered a young black woman. While the man is given life in prison, he is released after just a couple of years and begins hunting down the jurors who convicted him.
     They Went Left - The story of a young woman looking for her little brother after being liberated from WWII Polish prison camps.
     Hello Sunshine - a good summer read about food, betrayal and frienemies.
     Into White - a young black teenager prays for Jesus to turn her into a white teenager. The story is partially about who still sees her as black while others see her as white. I never figured out why some only saw her as black after she was white.
     Easy Prey - Told from the point of view of 3 high school students. It's essentially a warning about being careful with technology: sexting, the internet, etc.
     Circling the Sun - raised in Kenya, this is the story of her "wild" upbringing and her disastrous family and romantic relationships.
     Cold Mourning - a new-to-me series of a First Nations police recruit who must solve a mystery by herself over the Christmas holidays when her peers don't quite believe in her.
     Behind Closed Doors - If ever I wanted to hate a character, then this book is about him. I kept reading solely to see if he got his comeuppance.
     Kindred - the sci fi part of this story was hard for me to like but I did appreciate the historical story of a (black) woman who saves a (white) child in order to assure the blood line continues, despite the slave-owner dynamics.
     The Magic Barrel - this was a free YA book from the SYNC summer series. Each year they include a LA Theater Works production that I really look forward to for the multiple actors, sound effects including applause, theater atmosphere, etc. This year's offering was so short, it's almost like it wasn't a LATW. The short story about finding a wife for a young Jewish man was good but predictable.
     Of Beetles & Angels: a boy's remarkable journey from refugee camp to Harvard - I kinda thought that Harvard was a small part of the story given the mention in the title. It was an interesting take on the refugee journey to making good in the USA.
     Alive - this was another free YA book. It's also a graphic audio novel or a "movie in your mind" meaning there are lots of annoying sound effects. I've not yet decided if I want to finish the trilogy..

IN PROGRESS

And now it's your turn - what have you been reading? Anything counts: novel, magazine, quilt pattern or cereal box!


3 comments:

Denise :) said...

The Whistler ... that was a Grisham novel, right? I enjoy his books! So I kinda need to know if the hated character got his comeuppance?!?! I read a cute, quirky and fun little camping series over vacay -- the Cedar Fish Campground series. Murder mysteries. It seemed appropriate! I finished The Mill on the Floss and The Library Book, which were both very interesting in their own rights. The latter was about the burning (arson) of Central Library in Los Angeles in 1986(?). The history of the library was rather fascinating. I'm hard-core reading Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany and nighttime reading Angela McRae's Emeralds and Envy, which is cute. And of course the July/August issue of TeaTime Magazine!

MissPat said...

I've fallen down on the job with reading. I finished Little Fires Everywhere. I gave up on The Best of Me by David Sedaris (guess he's just not my thing). Currently reading All adults here and not currently listening to anything. And I'm behind on my Goodreads challenge. Maybe the coming heat wave will help with the reading since it will be too hot for the garden or the sewing studio.
Pat

Leonore Winterer said...

I haven't read any of your books, but Kindred sounds interesting. I'm currently reading 'One Word Kill', it's about a group of kids who play D&D and then all kind of crazy stuff happens.