Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Granola Bars

I had hoped to make those fruit hand pies to show off today but you know that when it rains, it pours and I didn't get any made...I did however get these granola bars made. This is a recipe I have modified from something I saw on the internet and they are one of my favorite breakfasts. No two batches come out alike because you can customize them so much. Shall we?!

Ohh - I just had a thought - Mom has a food dehydrator...I could make my own dried fruit this summer! Can't wait for the farmer's market to open.

In a medium to large sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients.


Add in dried fruit and nuts. I generally use about 2 cups total making sure to *always* include chocolate chips. This time I used mangos, raisins, choc chips and walnuts.


In a microwavable dish, melt the butter. Whisk in the water and the honey. Gotta love local honey!
I like to use this Pyrex measuring cup because the honey sinks to the bottom and it's easy to measure.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Adding peanut butter is optional but without the pb, I have found the bars very dry. I don't even measure the pb anymore, just adding a couple spatula fulls.
 

The original recipe called for lining the 9" Pyrex with parchment paper, not having any, I just spray it with the Pam spray that has flour in it. Press your moist mix into the Pyrex. It doesn't tend to spread at all so make sure the mix is even in the Pyrex. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges brown. The center will appear soft but it will firm up when it cools.




1 2/3 cup quick rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar ( I tend to use about 2/3 cup, only because I keep a 1/3 cup in the sugar container)
1/3 cup oat flour (I just use all purpose)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I always add more!)
2 to 3 cups dried fruits & nuts

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup honey (maple syrup and corn syrup also work)
1 Tablespoon water

Add wet ingredients plus 1/3 cup peanut butter (I use crunchy)

Prehet oven to 350F.
Line square Pyrex with parchment paper in one direction
Spray paper and exposed Pyrex with Pam
Press mix into Pyrex
Bake 30-40 minutes until edges brown and there is a little color on top. It's soft but will firm when cool.
Cool completely and remove with parchment sling. Cut into 9 servings.

Freezes quite well.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh yum, that does sound very good and pretty easy, too (which is a nice benefit)! I love that you *always* include chocolate chips, too! ;)

Janet O. said...

Sounds delightful. Have you ever used plain rolled oats instead of the quick?

Michelle said...

Sounds very nice...if you like dried fruit.
I can't believe that it can be frozen.
Slice's don't last very long in my house.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

These sound yummy, we can all use some more energy! Thanks for sharing!