Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

We are in trouble my friends...

...because yesterday I figured out how to do hexies in EQ7 after emailing with another blogger!!!

You all know know that I have this little hexie project I am working on...but you probably didn't know that I had a very rough sketch on graph paper to get the project started. Then I had to add paper "wings" so the final design would fit. Yup - the final will be a huge hexagon shaped quilt. I was highlighting in bright yellow when the diamonds were attached to the mothership. I have 9 more diamonds done and another 7 "kitted" so I need to start figuring out where they go so the colors are spread out evenly and I can kit more. I need a total of 42 whole diamonds and 12 partial diamonds for the corners.

Then I moved to this! The colors are not actual matches but are pretty similar, and only represent the "mothership." Need to still play with those 9 finished hexies for placement. Hardest part was setting up the grid because of the way EQ counts rows. I suppose reading the manual might help but I was in a hurry last night :) Biggest lesson learned: If you doodle and then want the grid bigger, more space is added to the bottom, not to the top where I needed 2 more rows for this design. Live and learn for the next design...cuz there will be more!

PLEASE ignore the background mess - yikes!
I think the graph paper has it's purpose for a quick doodle or portability but I also really like the EQ version for showing colors and figuring yardage. I like the actual mothership for placement of the other finished diamonds - it's just faster. Which do you like better?

 And now I should get back to actually sewing hexies instead of just talking about them before my lunch is over...

8 comments:

Kelly Grace said...

Awesome! I love how easy EQ makes it to design! And now I have another design idea for my next hexi project!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

EQ7 does make it fun to create a design! This is going to be a beautiful quilt.....with lots of hexies! Thanks for linking.
Quilting by the River

Denise :) said...

Oh FUN!! So share your knowledge, for goodness sake! (Or just e-mail me the EQ file and let me play with it too -- HAHA!) :)

Sue Daurio said...

Oh this is wonderful. I have just started making some hexies and didn't want to to just the plain GFG. Now I'm starting EQ7 to see how this works there. I do love the design you have started, very nice!

Janet O. said...

Oh, my, Sarah! This is incredible! So amazing! I am in awe!

Michelle said...

EQ is so much fun , if you know how.
I only have EQ5 and I think I nearly have it worked out. Lol.
Both of your ( maps ) look good.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I have EQ5, still don't know how to use it. So I do graph paper and colored pencils for now.

tubakk said...

So pretty! I would love to make this one. Can I use this pattern?