Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Adirondack Mountains

Just a short 4 hours away from home is the Adirondack Park where my family has been camping for 34 years. I didn't realize it had been quite that long. We always go to Eighth Lake Campsite which is part of the Fulton Chain of Lakes. In the beginning, I think we only had one tent for the 4 of us...that became 2 and then 3 tents as my brother and I got older and needed "space".

Unfortunately, the summer I was 16 was my last trip there. I had chicken pox that summer so I hid away the first week while I was still contagious but I also caught the biggest fish - and that's all I can remember from that summer. I do have the picture to prove the fish but it's a print (of all things). I never got to go back because I had summer jobs and then moved to Miami. It's been a long 24 years and I've missed everything about the Adirondacks (except the drive).

Mom & Dad eventually got a pop up camper and just this summer, a full size pull behind camper. I must say it's nice to sleep on a decent bed (OK, I slept on the "kitchen table") and not need to set up and tear down a site as well as needing to pack and unpack the car so that it all fits. The best meals are cooked over the fire or camp stove and not on the camper stove which we only used to make cocoa in the mornings.

We fed the ducks.


We walked in the woods behind our site where dew dripped from under the fungus among us.


We collected rocks down this path where bear hunters startled us as they walked out of the woods.
We won't talk about the large rock that fell on my flip-flopped foot...


We shopped till we dropped and then shopped some more.

Check back later this week for more pictures of the fall color and the quilt store I went to 2 out of the 3 days I was there (!!!)...

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Beautiful place, Sarah. We need experiences like this now and then to balance us. But who knew you could find a quilt shop while camping in the Adirondack Mountains?

Anonymous said...

That looks like such a great place and to have a quilt shop nearby makes it perfect.

Denise :) said...

How gorgeous! Love the shot of your dad and the moose! I have to agree with you about meals cooked over a campfire. :) Glad you were able to get back and enjoy (and on a decent enough bed)!! :)